Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yan Lin <ya...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/19 18:20:51 UTC

Apache/Tomcat/Struts Certification Proposal

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone has thought of this.  From my
research, I don't think it's possible for anyone to
get certified on Apache products at this point.  But
since there are so many companies looking for people
with these kind of skills, it would be nice to have an
recognized entity like Apache Foundation to help the
companies in determining who is the best candidate.

For example, I have been working on a lot of projects
with Tomcat and Struts, but without a certification,
it's kind of hard to convince employers that I have
solid work experience in these areas, especially when
the potential employers are not that technical.  I
know there are other ways you can show your skills(I
have project on sourceforge), but when facing a pile
of resume, no one is going to open up a browser
window....

Maybe I am dreaming of San Francisco beach again this
morning, but anyone agrees with me that this is
something that we need?

Thanks!

-Yan

RE: Apache/Tomcat/Struts Certification Proposal

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@silvacom.com>.
I just thought it would help people with real knowledge to stand out and have a
better chance.  It's just not fair for people with better understanding of the
software(I believe you can get a IIS certification, why not Apache).  And it
would help the Apache Foundation as well.  With the money they get from people
taking the exams, they can have way better support as a whole.  After all,
software programming is not only about working in front of a computer all day
anymore.

The real challenge is how the whole process can be administrated.  Ah, I don't
think it's possible anyways with current open source development structure.  But
just thought it would be an interesting idea.
-Yan

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.