Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Dyer <dd...@artifact-software.com> on 2010/04/08 12:30:57 UTC

Jetspeed user management from an external application

This is a follow up on a previous thread (
http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org/msg09030.html
).

To recap:

What we are trying to do is have a portlet that uploads a spreadsheet of
user information. The portlet reads and validates the info in the
spreadsheet and then will start up an external java app (held somewhere
TBD on the server, but not within the tomcat container) that in will
then create/update the list of jetspeed users from the spreadsheet.

Randy provided some code on this list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org/msg09039.html
). But I've had a few problems getting it to run.

If we hard code the application root (eg. "C:/tomcat/webapps/nce/") to a
running Jetspeed installation we can get it to run with a few minor
modifications. What I would prefer is to have all the assembly config
files inside the jar with the batch processing code so the process is
location independent. This has led to some other issues.
1)After loading the jetspeed.porpeterties file

		PropertiesConfiguration config = new PropertiesConfiguration();

                config.load(new
FileInputStream(appRoot+"jetspeed.properties"));

When loading the the assembly xml files, it complains about the
properties (eg, portal.name) being undefined.

Also all we really need is access to a configured RoleManager and
UserManager. Can I get rid of some of the config files? Which ones?  The
UserManager will still have to know where to create the user psml
folders (portal/WEB-INF/pages/_user/), so I imagine we'll need to modify
some configuration since we're working from outside the running Jetspeed
context, any ideas wich of the various files I have to touch?

 I'm sure there'll be more questions as they come to me.

David Dyer