Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Vedovato Paolo <pa...@profidatagroup.com> on 2001/09/19 12:59:19 UTC

RE: Problems with running servlet_example1 on Sun J2EE 1.3 Ref. I mpl.

Hi Geir

thanks for your kind replies and help!

> Fundamentally, if the logging doesn't work, it's a real
> problem.  It does
> imply some kind of configuration issue, because it means (in
> your case) that
> the log system can't create the file.
aha...ok

> We should avoid the NPE's,but logging is somewhat fundamental
> so you can see
> what is going on.  But I agree, Velocity should limp along
> even if logging
> won't work.
yes

> Which directory?
when using J2EE 1.3 Sun Ref. Impl. it's:
..\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1
and this is what is located in the sub-dirs:
..\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1\sample.vm
..\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1\WEB_INF\web.xml
..\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1\WEB_INF\lib\velocity-1.1jar
..\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1\WEB_INF\classes\SampleServlet.class

> What does that mean 'the whole J2EE environment'?
with all the possible (security) settings and different Servlet Engines etc.

>- what user is the servlet container being run as?
The servlet container in the J2EE 1.3 Sun Ref. Impl. ist Tomcat 4.0 and gets
setup/started when I start the whole application server...don't know what
user it is being run as, but I assumed that it has all the rights to be able
to work and test without limitations my components...maybe i have to
reconsider that...:-(

>- Is it being started as a service?
see previous point

>- if so, as what user?
see previous point

>- Who owns the directory C:\dev\j2sdkee1.3\public_html\Example1\ ?
at the windows box i'm logged in as administrator...
but I think that the problem may be at runtime that my velocity example web
component doesn't have the permissions to access the file system...

>- Can you modify the example servlet to open an file and write to it? ( I
>want to see if we take Velocity out of the picture for a second, can you
>just write to a file...)
that's what came up in my mind as I first saw the error message, but I
wasn't sure if that caused velocity to don't go further...i will try
that..and investigate more on my application server settings...or does
somebody have concrete directions to point me to?

thanks again
-paolo

Re: Problems with running servlet_example1 on Sun J2EE 1.3 Ref. I mpl.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 9/19/01 7:52 AM, "Leon Messerschmidt" <le...@opticode.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Vedovato,
>
> I recently copied a Velocity from a CD to a Windows box.  Windows makes
> files copied from a CD read-only.  Velocity didn't like the fact that the
> existing log file was read only.  Maybe you have an existing .log file that
> is read-only.
>
> Just some random thought :-)

Good thought...

geir

System and Software Consulting
If you look up, there are no limits - Japanese Proverb

Re: Problems with running servlet_example1 on Sun J2EE 1.3 Ref. I mpl.