Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2015/01/21 17:28:11 UTC

[VOTE] 0.8.2.0 Candidate 2 (with the correct links)

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 0.8.2.0. There has
been some changes since the 0.8.2 beta release, especially in the new java
producer api and jmx mbean names. It would be great if people can test this
out thoroughly.

Release Notes for the 0.8.2.0 release
https://people.apache.org/~junrao/kafka-0.8.2.0-candidate2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, Jan 26h, 7pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS in addition to the md5, sha1 and sha2 (SHA256)
checksum.

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://people.apache.org/~junrao/kafka-0.8.2.0-candidate2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon prior to release:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* scala-doc
https://people.apache.org/~junrao/kafka-0.8.2.0-candidate2/scaladoc/

* java-doc
https://people.apache.org/~junrao/kafka-0.8.2.0-candidate2/javadoc/

* The tag to be voted upon (off the 0.8.2 branch) is the 0.8.2.0 tag
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=058d58adef2ab2787e49d8efeefd61bb3d32f99c
(commit 0b312a6b9f0833d38eec434bfff4c647c1814564)

Jun

Re: [VOTE] 0.8.2.0 Candidate 2 (with the correct links)

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding) Verified quick start and unit tests.

Thanks,

Jun

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 0.8.2.0 Candidate 2 (with the correct links)

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kafka Team,

I just wanted to bring this to your attention regarding Java New Producer
limitation compare to old producer.

a) Partition Increasing is limited to configured memory allocation.

buffer.memory
batch.size

The maximum partition you could have before impacting (New Java Producers)
producers is buffer.memory /  batch.size.  So Developer can plan for
horizontal scaling partition from the beginning otherwise production
running code will be impacted based on *block.on.buffer.full
configuration *(block
or BufferExhaustedException).

This limitation does not exits with old scala based Producer.

This will allow user community to buffer more and plan the capacity before
hand.   May be add this info
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#newproducerconfigs about
limitation.

Thanks,

Bhavesh

Posted by Bhavesh Mistry <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kafka Team,

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ku...@nmsworks.co.in>.
+1 (Non-binding)

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ku...@nmsworks.co.in>.
+1 (Non-binding)

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)
> [...]

> defaulted
> frustration
> along
> had
> >> under
> am I
> that

> >> "value.serializer"

> org.apache.kafka.common.config.AbstractConfig.<init>(AbstractConfig.java:48)
> >> >>

> org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.ProducerConfig.<init>(ProducerConfig.java:235)
> >> >>

> org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.KafkaProducer.<init>(KafkaProducer.java:129)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.BaseSpec$class.createNewKafkaProducer(BaseSpec.scala:42)
> >> >>

> >>  ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec.createNewKafkaProducer(KafkaSpec.scala:36)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$37.apply(KafkaSpec.scala:175)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$37.apply(KafkaSpec.scala:170)

Neha

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 0.8.2.0 Candidate 2 (with the correct links)

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)
> [...]

> defaulted
> frustration
> along
> had
> >> under
> am I
> that

> >> "value.serializer"

> org.apache.kafka.common.config.AbstractConfig.<init>(AbstractConfig.java:48)
> >> >>

> org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.ProducerConfig.<init>(ProducerConfig.java:235)
> >> >>

> org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.KafkaProducer.<init>(KafkaProducer.java:129)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.BaseSpec$class.createNewKafkaProducer(BaseSpec.scala:42)
> >> >>

> >>  ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec.createNewKafkaProducer(KafkaSpec.scala:36)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$37.apply(KafkaSpec.scala:175)
> >> >>

> ly.stealth.testing.KafkaSpec$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$37.apply(KafkaSpec.scala:170)

Neha

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 0.8.2.0 Candidate 2 (with the correct links)

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
That makes sense, thanks!

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
That makes sense, thanks!

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
That's right. What's in maven staging is always for the latest RC being
voted. The stuff in maven staging will be promoted to maven central once
the vote passes.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Kyle,

Also, which reporter are you using for Graphite?

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Everyone,

We identified a blocker issue related to Yammer jmx reporter (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1902). We are addressing this
issue right now. Once it's resolved, we will roll out a new RC for voting.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Everyone,