Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/02 15:43:39 UTC

More ASF Jenkins job triggering problems

Mikhail alerted me to the fact that the Lucene-Artifacts-6.x job hasn’t run recently on ASF Jenkins.  This job is a “downstream project” of Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x, i.e. once the latter has finished building, the former is triggered.  (Solr-Artifacts-6.x is a downstream project of Lucene-Artifacts-6.x, so as a result of this problem, it hasn’t run recently either.)

I see the following in the log from the most recent Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x build <https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x/337/console>:

-----
Warning: this build has no associated authentication, so build permissions may be lacking, and downstream projects which cannot even be seen by an anonymous user will be silently skipped
You have no permission to build Lucene-Artifacts-6.x
-----

Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/Lucene-Artifacts-master is exhibiting the same behavior - the oldest retained log from April 28th <https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/1288/console> has the same warning/permission text ^^.

I mentioned the problem on Infra’s hipchat channel, and pono (Daniel Takamori), chatting with me on #lucene IRC, suggested the problem started with the Jenkins upgrade over the weekend, but the April 28th build predates that.  pono also noted that the Jenkins upgrade brought a new capability: the Jenkins Build Authorization plugin.  He had me configure the two jobs in question to first enable “Configure Build Authorization” and then select “Run as user who triggered build”.  This is an experiment: we’ll see how it goes.  (I’m wondering if this will cause a problem with manually kicked off jobs.)

I’ll keep an eye on it but if anybody else notices problems, please let us know.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Re: More ASF Jenkins job triggering problems

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
After I re-configured the two -Nightly jobs to “Run As Anonymous” (see below), they never actually ran, even though they were on the queue to be run after I manually put them on the queue.  I’m guessing that “Run As Anonymous” caused them to be unrunnable for some reason.

So, I’ve abandoned this tack.  None of our Jenkins jobs will be configured as downstream; they will instead be built periodically.

I disabled configuration of the Authorization plugin from the two -Nightly jobs.  I re-configured all -Artifacts jobs to build periodically (@daily), rather than as downstream jobs, and I removed configuration of downstream jobs from all -Nightly and Lucene-Artifacts-* jobs (the latter previously triggered the Solr-Artifacts-* jobs as downstream jobs).

I haven’t manually scheduled any of these jobs, so it’ll take 24 hours or so to be sure that all the jobs are making onto the queue and then actually getting run.  I’ll keep an eye on it.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
Hello, Steve.
I notice the same authorization warning at
https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x/343/console
Do you know if there is a chance to get a nightly build?

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mikhail alerted me to the fact that the Lucene-Artifacts-6.x job hasn’t
> run recently on ASF Jenkins.  This job is a “downstream project” of
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x, i.e. once the latter has finished building,
> the former is triggered.  (Solr-Artifacts-6.x is a downstream project of
> Lucene-Artifacts-6.x, so as a result of this problem, it hasn’t run
> recently either.)
>
> I see the following in the log from the most recent
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x build <https://builds.apache.org/
> job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x/337/console>:
>
> -----
> Warning: this build has no associated authentication, so build permissions
> may be lacking, and downstream projects which cannot even be seen by an
> anonymous user will be silently skipped
> You have no permission to build Lucene-Artifacts-6.x
> -----
>
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/Lucene-Artifacts-master is exhibiting the
> same behavior - the oldest retained log from April 28th <
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/1288/console>
> has the same warning/permission text ^^.
>
> I mentioned the problem on Infra’s hipchat channel, and pono (Daniel
> Takamori), chatting with me on #lucene IRC, suggested the problem started
> with the Jenkins upgrade over the weekend, but the April 28th build
> predates that.  pono also noted that the Jenkins upgrade brought a new
> capability: the Jenkins Build Authorization plugin.  He had me configure
> the two jobs in question to first enable “Configure Build Authorization”
> and then select “Run as user who triggered build”.  This is an experiment:
> we’ll see how it goes.  (I’m wondering if this will cause a problem with
> manually kicked off jobs.)
>
> I’ll keep an eye on it but if anybody else notices problems, please let us
> know.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: More ASF Jenkins job triggering problems

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
Hello,

The same happens right now to
https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/1293/console
https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/1293/console

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mikhail alerted me to the fact that the Lucene-Artifacts-6.x job hasn’t
> run recently on ASF Jenkins.  This job is a “downstream project” of
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x, i.e. once the latter has finished building,
> the former is triggered.  (Solr-Artifacts-6.x is a downstream project of
> Lucene-Artifacts-6.x, so as a result of this problem, it hasn’t run
> recently either.)
>
> I see the following in the log from the most recent
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x build <https://builds.apache.org/
> job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-6.x/337/console>:
>
> -----
> Warning: this build has no associated authentication, so build permissions
> may be lacking, and downstream projects which cannot even be seen by an
> anonymous user will be silently skipped
> You have no permission to build Lucene-Artifacts-6.x
> -----
>
> Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/Lucene-Artifacts-master is exhibiting the
> same behavior - the oldest retained log from April 28th <
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Solr-NightlyTests-master/1288/console>
> has the same warning/permission text ^^.
>
> I mentioned the problem on Infra’s hipchat channel, and pono (Daniel
> Takamori), chatting with me on #lucene IRC, suggested the problem started
> with the Jenkins upgrade over the weekend, but the April 28th build
> predates that.  pono also noted that the Jenkins upgrade brought a new
> capability: the Jenkins Build Authorization plugin.  He had me configure
> the two jobs in question to first enable “Configure Build Authorization”
> and then select “Run as user who triggered build”.  This is an experiment:
> we’ll see how it goes.  (I’m wondering if this will cause a problem with
> manually kicked off jobs.)
>
> I’ll keep an eye on it but if anybody else notices problems, please let us
> know.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com