Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2013/01/01 20:36:29 UTC

Next Log4j 2.0 release

I took me longer than I wanted but I have finally fixed all the issues I wanted to complete before doing the 2.0-beta4 release.  Please let me know if you are aware of something else that needs to be done before the release.

A larger question is whether the subsequent release should be beta5 or whether we are good to go with the 2.0 GA release.

Thoughts?

Ralph

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
A new beta feels about right too...

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Do a google on

Apache svnpubsub releases

and you should see a bunch of links from projects related to this.  The clearest is probably the first one from Sebb - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jmeter-dev/201202.mbox/%3CCAOGo0VZLaZHR1sCbOOCF2niuHQjBdhGx1VxJEsWhrsEbnZrLOQ@mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Scott Severtson <ss...@digitalmeasures.com>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Tushar Kapila <tg...@gmail.com>.
My thoughts are that  release can wait up to a month for Scott and
others to look thru and suggest api changes.

I look forward to a release as we are using the new version in dev
only till release.

On 1/2/13, Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to go through chainsaw, which requires going through extras. Would
> prefer to do that while in beta, but I don't want to slow down the great
> progress either.
> On Jan 1, 2013 11:37 AM, "Ralph Goers" <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> I took me longer than I wanted but I have finally fixed all the issues I
>> wanted to complete before doing the 2.0-beta4 release.  Please let me
>> know
>> if you are aware of something else that needs to be done before the
>> release.
>>
>> A larger question is whether the subsequent release should be beta5 or
>> whether we are good to go with the 2.0 GA release.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Ralph

Sent from my mobile device

Regards
Tushar Kapila

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jan 2, 2013, at 2:15 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to go through chainsaw, which requires going through extras. Would
>> prefer to do that while in beta, but I don't want to slow down the great
>> progress either.
>
> Do you expect any incompatibility or so? Or do think about making
> extras log4j2 compatible?

I have gone through the extras code a couple of times and brought in code into Log4j 2 that I thought was useful.  What else needs to be dealt with?  I'm not sure I see the point in making extras itself compatible.

Ralph

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to go through chainsaw, which requires going through extras. Would
> prefer to do that while in beta, but I don't want to slow down the great
> progress either.

Do you expect any incompatibility or so? Or do think about making
extras log4j2 compatible?

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jan 2, 2013, at 4:50 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2013, at 14:37, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> I took me longer than I wanted but I have finally fixed all the issues I wanted to complete before doing the 2.0-beta4 release.  Please let me know if you are aware of something else that needs to be done before the release.
>>
>> A larger question is whether the subsequent release should be beta5 or whether we are good to go with the 2.0 GA release.
>
> For beta 5, I'd like to add a JDBC appender. We use one at work for
> certain set ups. Alternatively, can flume to set up to log to a
> database?

Flume is basically an event bus.  If you have a setup with web, application and data tiers and you don't want your web tier to have a jdbc connection to the data tier then you could use Flume to send the events to the application tier to be written.  Flume also acts as an aggregator so that if you have 10 instances they can all write to Flume where you then only have a single connection to the data repository.

I'm not a huge fan of using a relational database as the repository for logging events but if a DBAppender is needed then lets add it.

Ralph

Re: Next Log4j 2.0 release

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.