Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Yanwen Lin <ly...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/19 05:30:18 UTC

Failed Unit testings in ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest

Hi folks,

I just joined Kafka community. I would like to work on a beginner issue but get blocked on running unit testings:
I found that I have issue with running the following two unit testings even w/ a fresh git clone of the Kafka repo on trunk branch:
ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest. testReassignment() => I never passed this test
ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest. testReassignmentWithAlterIsrDisabled() ==> This is a flaky test, sometimes I can pass but sometimes not.
I ran the following Gradle command:

$./gradlew core:test --tests ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest

My Java version is:
$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_172-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_172-ea-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.172-b03, mixed mode)

My Scala version is:
$ scala -version
Scala code runner version 2.13.1 -- Copyright 2002-2019, LAMP/EPFL and Lightbend, Inc.

I did a search in the Jira tickets and there is only one I found related to this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-12933 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-12933>.

Does anyone encounter this issue before? Thanks!

Best,
Yanwen

Re: Failed Unit testings in ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest

Posted by David Mao <dm...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
This assertion doesn't seem safe. I opened a PR for a fix. Do you mind
taking a look, Luke?

David

Posted by Yanwen Lin <ly...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luke,

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yanwen,

Welcome to Kafka!
Usually, we posted flaky tests on JIRA when we saw failed tests on Jenkins
build, either on trunk build, or PR build.
What you mentioned 2 (flaky) failed tests have not failed in Jenkins for a
long time (since build # 364, check below link). Besides, it also passed in
my local environment. So, it should be the issue in your environment.

history for ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest on jenkins:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/trunk/413/testReport/kafka.admin/ReassignPartitionsIntegrationTest/history/
[image: 圖片.png]