Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jerry A Lebowitz <ja...@west.raytheon.com> on 2001/09/25 19:14:11 UTC

xerces legal question and question about pedigree

1.  Is it true that there are no royalities associated with xerces c++?  I
understand that if we deliver your source code to a customer that we need
to specify your copyright and disclaimer.

2. What is the pedigree (country of origin) of xerces c++?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Jerry Lebowitz
Raytheon
310-615-8956

Re: xerces legal question and question about pedigree

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
Hey Jerry,

I do not speak on behalf of Apache or IBM, but I do contribute to the
project.

"Jerry A Lebowitz" <ja...@west.raytheon.com> writes:

> 1.  Is it true that there are no royalities associated with xerces
>     c++?

Correct, as stated in 'The Apache Software License, Version 1.1'.

> I understand that if we deliver your source code to a customer that
> we need to specify your copyright and disclaimer.

Correct again, as stated in 'The Apache Software License, Version 1.1'.

> 2. What is the pedigree (country of origin) of xerces c++?

It is my understanding that the IBM developed the original code in the
US, then the apache project became the maintaining organization, and
since then IBM moved it's XML team to Canada, and Xerces has accepted
patches and code changes from folks all over the world.

Why?

jas.

Re: xerces legal question and question about pedigree

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
> 2. What is the pedigree (country of origin) of xerces c++?

There was an early Java version done by IBM's TRL (Tokoyo Research Lab I
think), which was pretty experimental. XML was very young at the time. That
code was taken over by IBM's new Java Technology Center in Cupertino CA,
which was formed from ex-Taligent employees, where a small group of us began
the work of 'productizing' that code. Glenn Marcy did a lot of that early
rearchitecting work, I wrote the initial DTD validator, and some other folks
(and I'm forgetting who, probably Andy Heninger was involved in that work)
reworked the DOM parts.

Then I went off for a few months and did a big work-at-home binge and wrote
the non-DOM parts of the C++ version. It was, at the 10,000 foot level,
roughly architected like the Java version, though it also had many
differences because of language differences, and had to deal with its own
platform independence and provide its own utility code and whatnot.  It also
used much more straightroward object technology, whereas the Java one did
not in order to gain more performance. Andy Heninger and some other folks
then did the initial port of the Java DOM onto the C++ parser. Since then
its been tranferred to IBM's Toronto Labs, whose biggest contribution has
been the newly arriving Schema support, which is a non-trivial task.

It is an Apache project, but the bulk of the work has always been
underwritten by IBM's assigning developers to the project. But there are
third party folks who contribute, and of course since its open source a lot
of people contribute in the sense of finding bugs and suggesting
improvements and whatnot.

Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!"