Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hari Om <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/24 18:37:39 UTC

[users@httpd] HUGE Data Elements

Hello Every1

I am using JSP/Servlets/JDBC on Apache/Tomcat

I have a HUGE Data Entry form (around 400 data fields)

I was initially having  all these 400 fields in one HTML Page but it was not
very user-friendly. SO I am thinking of displaying the data in different
sections. So, now at any instant only one SECTION of dat is displayed. when
the user is done (entrting data) with first section he clicks on to the NEXT
LINK whcih will take him/her to next Section.
It should ALSO SAVE the data ENTERED by user in previous screen.

What is the BEST Possible way to STORE and HOLD this DATA till last section
is displayed....?

I have thought have 2 options - do not know if there is better options than
these:
1) Create SESSION Variables for each of these 400 Variables. (will it be an
issue if I have 400 Session Variable...?)
2)Using JavaScript to store these DATA till last screen is displayed and
user clicks on the SUBMIT Button.

Any related information on this is appreciated.

THANKS!

Re: [users@httpd] HUGE Data Elements

Posted by Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>.
On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 09:37, Hari Om wrote:

> What is the BEST Possible way to STORE and HOLD this DATA till last section
> is displayed....?
>
> I have thought have 2 options - do not know if there is better options than
> these:
> 1) Create SESSION Variables for each of these 400 Variables. (will it be an
> issue if I have 400 Session Variable...?)

Whatever language you are using to process this data undoubtedly has
arrays or associative arrays / hashes.  Don't create 400 variables.
Create one session variable that references an array or hash data
structure.

> 2)Using JavaScript to store these DATA till last screen is displayed and
> user clicks on the SUBMIT Button.

I would advise against using javascript to do this.

--
Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>

Re: [users@httpd] HUGE Data Elements

Posted by "Geoffrey.W.Halsted" <ge...@orcmacro.com>.
what about saving the data to your database as you move from page to
page?  If you need a piece of data down stream you could just read it
from your database ...