Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk> on 2005/08/17 08:28:52 UTC

Problem installing eclipse plugin

I am following the instructions for installing the eclipse pluging in the
readme.txt file inside the tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest
directory.

The first issue arises when I come to import the existing project into
eclipse.  Instead of just the plugin, there are other projects to import.
The readme makes no mention of them.

Regardless, if I import them or not the actual forrestplugin project has the
following errors

MANIFEST.MF

Can't resolve these

 org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser,
 org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine

src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestRunner.java

Can't resolve the following import statelments

import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Jetty;
import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Server;
import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.Trace;
import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.WebBrowserUIPlugin;

I actually set up wtp all in one package (includes eclipse and wtp all
together), and all the other prerequisits mentioned seem also to be
installed.  So what am I missing?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
Anil Ramnanan writes:

> What version of Eclipse and wtp are you using ?  Try running eclipse with
> the -clean option and see if that helps.

See my reply to Ross Gardler a couple of messages above.

Obviously I have run with the -clean option previously - I will try it again
when I get home again this evening.

 --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Alan Chandler wrote:

> org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser,
> org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine
>
>src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestRunner.java
>
>Can't resolve the following import statelments
>
>import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Jetty;
>import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Server;
>import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.Trace;
>import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.WebBrowserUIPlugin;
>
>I actually set up wtp all in one package (includes eclipse and wtp all
>together), and all the other prerequisits mentioned seem also to be
>installed.  So what am I missing?

What version of Eclipse and wtp are you using ?  Try running eclipse
with the -clean option and see if that helps.

Anil

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 Aug 2005 17:35, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Alan Chandler wrote:

>>OK I've updated and clarified the instructions (I hope).
>

> A couple of minor niggles with readme.txt that I noticed
>
> a) The svn url quoted in the text is https.  I assume committers use that, and
> the general riff raff like myself are supposed to use http.  I would have
> thought the url should be the http version

correct, thanks

> b) The heading Seotting Up Eclipse is spelt wrong

I type too fast you'll fid that all the time in my docs ;-)

> c) In Verifying the Installation you have a bullet point that starts
> - You should see the following fields enabled ( ...
>
> There is no closing bracket, and there are no following features in your
> text.  :-(  .

Ooops, obviously rushing a little.

Thanks for the info, I'm fixing them now.

I guess this means that you got it to work though?

As you probably know this is alpha quality at the moment, there are some
pretty major thngs missing (like the ability to edit the properties of
nodes i the site.xml file after they have been added, but it is pretty
useful all the same).

Update your SVN every couple of weeks this is under heqvy development
right now (and of course patches are most welcome to docs and/or code).

Ross

Ross

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Alan Chandler wrote:
> Ross Gardler writes:
>
>> Alan Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> I am following the instructions for installing the eclipse pluging in
>>> the readme.txt file inside the
>>> tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest directory.

OK I've updated and clarified the instructions (I hope).

I've also updated the code base to support WTP 0.7 (the web browser
classes that could not be found have been moved into eclipse core)

Do SVN update and it should work (as long as you have both the plugins
checked out)

Thanks for letting us know of this problem.

Ross

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
Ross Gardler writes:

> Alan Chandler wrote:
>> I am following the instructions for installing the eclipse pluging in the
>> readme.txt file inside the tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest
>> directory.
>>
>> The first issue arises when I come to import the existing project into
>> eclipse.  Instead of just the plugin, there are other projects to import.
>> The readme makes no mention of them.
>
> Thanks, for the heads up, we'll update that.

But do I need to import them or not?

>> Regardless, if I import them or not the actual forrestplugin project has
>> the following errors
>>
>> MANIFEST.MF
>>
>> Can't resolve these
>>
>>  org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser,
>
> Have you installed WTP? Have you installed the prerequisites for WTP?

Yes - I have WTP installed for a few days now, using it on a tapestry
project that I am working on.  It works fine.

> To check do the following:
>
> start eclipse with forrest -clean to force eclipse to reload all plugins
> (need only do this once)
>
> Help -> Software Updates -> Manage COnfiguration
>
> Make sure the "Show disabled features" button is pressed (third from left
> on toolbar)
>
> Expand the tree
>
> Are any of your plugins disabled? That is do they show a little red "no
> entry" sign on thier icon. If they are have a look at the status of those
> plugins to see why.

I can't check right now, because this is all at home on linux, and I am at
work using web mail to access my mail on a windows machine, but I am pretty
certain that I don't have any disabled.  As I said above, I have been using
wtp already without forrest for doing some development in tapestry.  It all
seems to work.

I just discovered forrest, and can see that it out to help me create my
tapestry templates.  Hence the desire to load this plugin.

>>  org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine
>
> This is one of the projects you must import into your workspace. Do you
> have it? (it's in our SVN)

OK I must have it, I downloaded the whole of the forrest trunk with svn

Do these projects cross relate to each other in the dependancies?

>> src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestRunner.java
>>
>> Can't resolve the following import statelments
>>
>> import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Jetty;
>> import org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine.Server;
>> import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.Trace;
>> import org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser.internal.WebBrowserUIPlugin;
>
> These will go away when you solve the above issues.
>
>> I actually set up wtp all in one package (includes eclipse and wtp all
>> together), and all the other prerequisits mentioned seem also to be
>> installed.  So what am I missing?
>
> What do you mean you got one package for Eclipse + WTP? Can you point me
> to the lcoation you downloaded this? I'm not aware of such a package.
>
> In my experience WTP is very much dependant on specific versions of its
> pre-requisites, it is important to ensure you have the exact versions they
> specifiy on their downloads page.

Its a bit difficult to get the right url, because the actual page that shows
the downloads seems have embedded frames which are dynamically created
depended on when they make a snapshot.  However, I _think_ this works

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R-0.7-200507290654/

to get you the particular embedded frame.  The normal approach to getting to
this page is to go to www.eclipse.org, and follow the download links for wtp
and select the 0.7 release.

On this page you will see varying options for the wtp tools.  The first one
is the all-in-one package that should also contain all the pre requisites.
This is the version that I downloaded (linux version) and set up.  This is
the one that I have been using already to create my tapestry projects with

 --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:

>> I actually set up wtp all in one package (includes eclipse and wtp all
>> together), and all the other prerequisits mentioned seem also to be
>> installed.  So what am I missing?
>

> What do you mean you got one package for Eclipse + WTP? Can you point me
> to the lcoation you downloaded this? I'm not aware of such a package.
>
> In my experience WTP is very much dependant on specific versions of its
> pre-requisites, it is important to ensure you have the exact versions
> they specifiy on their downloads page.

Ahh, I see this now. I am doing a test install with this package and
updating the readme accordingly. I'll let you know when I have complete it.

Ross

Re: Problem installing eclipse plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.