Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net> on 2005/08/05 04:50:34 UTC

[OT] The 'Jakarta' of Javascript?

When it comes to server-side Java components and libraries, I generally
find most of what I need at Jakarta or elsewhere at Apache; it's certainly
one of the first places I always look. Is there a 'Jakarta' of client-side
components?

Lately I've been keeping my eye out for good Javascript resources, from
AJAX frameworks to calendar controls like the one Wendy recently posted a
link to [1] to cool visual effects [2] and dynamic UI components [3].

What are your favourite sources for this kind of thing? Do you have any
particularly neat examples nestled amongst your bookmarks?

L.

[1] http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/
[2] http://script.aculo.us/visual-effects
[3] http://openrico.org/rico/livegrid.page
--
Laurie, Open Source advocate, Java geek and novice blogger:
http://www.holoweb.net/laurie

Re: [OT][FRIDAY] The 'Jakarta' of Javascript?

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Emmanouil Batsis wrote:
> Laurie Harper wrote:
>> When it comes to server-side Java components and libraries, I
>> generally find most of what I need at Jakarta or elsewhere at Apache;
>> it's certainly one of the first places I always look. Is there a
>> 'Jakarta' of client-side components?
>
> Some folks have been working on JSAN [1], a CPAN for JS. Most people
> that are serious on JS aim in porting their stuff accordingly.
> Personally, i hope it will go even further; just imagine declaring JS
> libraries as dependencies for your WAR in Maven.
>
> [1] http://www.openjsan.org/

That looks very promising. I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.

L.

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.
Laurie Harper wrote:

> When it comes to server-side Java components and libraries, I
> generally find most of what I need at Jakarta or elsewhere at Apache;
> it's certainly one of the first places I always look. Is there a
> 'Jakarta' of client-side components?

Some folks have been working on JSAN [1], a CPAN for JS. Most people
that are serious on JS aim in porting their stuff accordingly.
Personally, i hope it will go even further; just imagine declaring JS
libraries as dependencies for your WAR in Maven.

[1] http://www.openjsan.org/

Manos

Re: [OT] The 'Jakarta' of Javascript?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I agree with your general impression of sites like that... and, DD has
it's share of "gee whiz, that's neat but oh so annoying!" content too...
but when you find the good stuff it really tends to be *very* good.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.