Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Barrett, Ronnie" <Ro...@southwark.gov.uk> on 2014/02/06 14:33:10 UTC

Application Review - OpenOffice

To whom it may concern,

Please review and complete the attached information request about your
applications currently in use at London Borough of Southwark.

The form should be completed and returned directly to the council inbox
modernIT@southwark.gov.uk, not this inbox - Capita are collating this
information on behalf of London Borough of Southwark council.

Please however, respond to this email if there are any queries with this
request for information.
 <<LBS-OpenOffice-Application Information.doc>>

Many Thanks,

Ronnie Barrett

The email you received and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you have received this in error please notify us immediately.

If you are not the intended recipient of the email or the person responsible for delivering it to them you may not copy it, forward it or otherwise use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful.

Where opinions are expressed in the email they are not necessarily those of Southwark Council and Southwark Council is not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has been sent.

Re: Application Review - OpenOffice

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> We did receive your 27-page long questionnaire regarding the
> capabilities and license of the OpenOffice application.   There may be
> some misunderstanding here.

I'm tempted to put that on my cube wall as a quote.

Re: Application Review - OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Barrett, Ronnie
<Ro...@southwark.gov.uk> wrote:

> To whom it may concern,

Hello Ronnie,

We did receive your 27-page long questionnaire regarding the
capabilities and license of the OpenOffice application.   There may be
some misunderstanding here.   We are not a commercial vendor selling
licenses of software, providing formal support agreements, etc.  We
are a volunteer-led, non-profit open source project, making software
available for all to use for free.   We have no staff to fill out
lengthy government forms.  We're generally happy to respond to
technical questions regarding use of the product.  We're all
enthusiastic users of OpenOffice and love to share our knowledge of
the product.  But there is no one here to help you deal with your own
regulations.

What would typically happen in cases like this is that the private
sector partner, in this case Capita, would do the leg work and
research answers to these questions.  Most of them could be found on
our website without too much difficulty.   If a greater effort is
required, there are several consultants who specialize in
OpenOffice-related services, including those we list on our website:

http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

On February 6, 2014 5:33:20  Barrett wrote:

>Please review and complete the attached information request about your applications currently in use at London Borough of Southwark.

A)  You sent your request to a mailing list whose subscribers are scattered across the globe. A mailing list that is archived on several sites on the Internet, including, but not exclusively, some that are part of the World Wide Web. The majority of the sites are open to the general public.

B) It is not uncommon for attachments to messages sent to mailing lists to be stripped, and removed from the message, between the sender, and the recipient. As such, best practices call for a URL to be provided, so the recipents can retrieve, and review the attachment.

C) Your request was sent to a list of developers. People who write, or review code. People who place little to no concern about distribution of the product. People whose concern about licencing starts with "What licence is the source code distributed under?" and ends with "Is that source code available?"

jonathon