Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by David Gradwell <da...@gradwell.com> on 2021/02/25 12:54:42 UTC

Running NetBeans faster on Apple Mac M1

Hi,

I do my development on an Apple Mac M1 using NetBeans 12.2

I downloaded the macOS Arm 64 bit version of jdk.15 from  https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?architecture=arm-64-bit&package=jdk  installed the JDK and am running it in terminal at the moment until I trust it enough to change the NetBeans config.

Terminal command as follows:

"/Applications/NetBeans/Apache NetBeans 12.2.app/Contents/MacOS/netbeans"  --jdkhome  /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.jdk/Contents/Home

The result is that I have NetBeans running on an Arm native jdk which is, at a guess, 5 times faster than using NetBeans on a “normal” jdk.  A maven project with 40 files builds in 2 or 3 seconds.

There seem to be no problems with NetBeans and this version of Java.

Hope that’s of interest.

Regards

David G

Re: Running NetBeans faster on Apple Mac M1

Posted by "Luff,Chris" <Ch...@Cerner.com.INVALID>.

Excellent - working with my company to get ahold of an M1 based Mac to test large maven reactor projects!

On 25 Feb 2021, at 13:03, Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Yes, and "wow"

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:00 AM Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid>> wrote:
I was reading through this and looking for the "but..." and there wasn't any. Awesome, thanks a lot for this info.

Gj

I downloaded the macOS Arm 64 bit version of jdk.15 from  https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-community/?architecture=arm-64-bit&package=jdk<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.azul.com%2Fdownloads%2Fzulu-community%2F%3Farchitecture%3Darm-64-bit%26package%3Djdk&data=04%7C01%7CChris.Luff%40cerner.com%7Cc2ba5c3b75a84d4b4fe508d8d98dc6fe%7Cfbc493a80d244454a815f4ca58e8c09d%7C0%7C0%7C637498550246028234%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=VkfHXp34xjRpShT%2FKbLGtR%2FpBcwRhyVjzFutwmtm6TY%3D&reserved=0>  installed the JDK and am running it in terminal at the moment until I trust it enough to change the NetBeans config.

--
Carl J. Mosca

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024. Cerner Limited, Registered in England no 2519305, Registered Office 37 North Wharf Road, London W2 1AF.

Re: Running NetBeans faster on Apple Mac M1

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
Yes, and "wow"

--
Carl J. Mosca

Re: Running NetBeans faster on Apple Mac M1

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.