Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonali Jadhav <so...@servercentralen.se> on 2015/01/06 14:27:20 UTC

Xenserver pool HA in Cloudstack

Hi,

I have Xenserver cluster setup with 4 Hosts in it. I was wondering  about HA configuration of xenserver pool. But at some places I saw that cloudstack HA and Xenserver HA both are different . And One shouldn't use Xenserver HA, since Cloudstack HA is by default active. Is it true?

Yours sincerely,

Sonali Jadhav | System Administrator
Nordiska Servercentralen
Direct: (Sweden) +46 7 52472074  | (India) +91 9892837889
Skype ID: sonali.jadhav.sj
E-mail: sonali@servercentralen.se<ma...@servercentralen.se>
Nordiska Servercentralen AB
Snövitsvägen 5
S-167 62 Bromma | Sweden
www.servercentralen.se<http://www.servercentralen.se/>
Incredible Servercentral Pvt. Ltd.
202, Siddhivinayak Aurum, Near Hyatt Regency
Behind Eden Garden, Viman Nagar, 411 014 | Pune, India
www.servercentral.in<http://www.servercentral.in/>

RE: Xenserver pool HA in Cloudstack

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Yiping,

Great suggestion, post had been updated accordingly, thanks for the feedback for helping to improve the article.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by Serg Gorodnichy <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi Geoff,

thank you for your article. I'm trying to enable pool HA but ending up with
the following error message:

The restore could not be performed because this backup has been created by
a different (incompatible) product version

I have ACS 4.4.1-NONOSS_3 with XS 6.2 patched up to XS62ESP1013 installed.
I see 2 files were created under MGMT-HA mount, but HA is still not
enabled. Could you please let me know what might be wrong?

Thanks
--
Serg

Posted by Yuri Kogun <yk...@outlook.com>.
Thank you,  Geoff,

Posted by Yuri Kogun <yk...@outlook.com>.
Hi Geoff

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ian,

When I say

" If the Pool Master goes down a Slave will take over and all VMs which were running on the failed Pool Master will be automatically restarted on alternate Hosts, but only as long as their Compute Offering had the ‘Offer HA’ feature enabled."

I am saying that if the Pool Master fails, then a new Pool Master will automatically take over and all HA VMs auto restart on alternate Hosts with no admin interaction.  The reason for this blog is that since the release of Hotfix XS62ESP1004 if you do not configure Pool HA then in the event of a Pool Master failure you will need to manually promote a new Pool Master.

So as long as you enable Pool HA, you do get a self-healing cluster from the point of view that a new Pool Master is allocated, but yes you do then manually need to fix the failed host then enable it to re-connect to the pool by disabling HA, then re-enabling HA which is a manual process.

Posted by Ian Forde <if...@marketo.com>.

Posted by Sonali Jadhav <so...@servercentralen.se>.
Thanks Geoff, good article, that solved my question.

/Sonali

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Yuri,

Whilst testing this, I killed off the Host Masters approx. 10 times, and on about 2 occasions the old Pool Master did automatically re-join as a slave, but on the other 8 occasions they did not.

I think it depended on how long they were down for, so a simple reset of the host was OK, but if it was down for say 10 mins then the recovery steps were required etc.

I have applied patches up to and including XS62ESP1014 but you say you have only applied up to XS62E014 which is pre SP1 and more importantly pre XS62ESP1004 which is the patch which triggers the requirement for this configuration.

Posted by Yuri Kogun <yk...@outlook.com>.
Hi Geoff,

Posted by Suresh Sadhu <Su...@citrix.com>.
From xen6.2 onwards  cloudstack deponds(leverages) on xen native HA capabilities  Please check below link: