Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/02 02:20:32 UTC

[lang] Running lang under a security manager and LANG-744

WRT LANG-744 "StringUtils throws java.security.AccessControlException on
Google App Engine"

Well, I've ruminated, pondered and experimented.

Running all unit tests with a security managers results in:

Clearly, we need a good overall solution to avoid 117 new Jiras (an
exaggeration I know.)

I've created a JAAS policy file to grant just enough permissions to run the
unit tests in {{src/test/resource/java.policy}}

The file contains instructions for using it with JAAS.

What this shows is that we should either:

# Run all unit tests a second time with JAAS enabled, or
# Run all unit tests with JAAS enabled, always

We should our solution as a pattern for other Commons component.

Specifically for StringUtils, should we have a SunStringUtils? This would
let you know that you are depending on com.sun code.

Thoughts?

--
Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [lang] Running lang under a security manager and LANG-744

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Bad first paragraph.

ie) the method causing trouble is not the one the user wants to use.
For example - they want to use StringUtils.chomp, and the
implementation of stripAccents is blocking them.

Sorry for the double post,

Hen

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I am going to play with surefire executions and see how that goes.

Gary

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I'm working on a fix now. Have a look when it is committed to see if
it can be improved.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Karlsen <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 5, 2011, at 23:34, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 September 2011 05:37, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm less concerned with the 115 errors, unless they're all as grievous
>>> as the StringUtils one - ie) the method causing trouble is not the
>>> only one broken.
>>>
>>> If the error happened when calling stripAccents, that would be
>>> workable; but having all of StringUtils unavailable is very painful.
>>> One option would be to move the code out of the static initializer and
>>> make it lazy when stripAccents is first called - leading to only
>>> callers of stripAccents when the JDK 6 class is unavailable to suffer
>>> pain.
>>
>> I thought we'd already fixed that by catching the extra Exception?
>>
>> I already suggested localising the error display to the stripAccents method.
>
> Sorry - not operating at 100% last week.
>
>>> I thought we could simplify things by simply making the java6Available
>>> flag be a real test for Java 6, but Android seems very weird there. Is
>>> Android going to force us to stay on the EOL Java 5, or is it Java 6
>>> compatible? IIUC it reports itself as 0.9, which we've declared as
>>> equivalent to JDK 1.5.
>>
>> Are you sure that is the issue?
>> Surely the Android problem is that we check for the sun class but
>> don't handle all possible errors?
>> So the class does not load; it cannot use the Java6 method even if it exists.
>
> I'm very confused between Android and GAE :)
>
>>> That relates to another (simple) solution - move to Java 6 :)
>>
>> Or capture Exception for both the java6 and sun tests; report the
>> exception(s) if neither is available when required.
>
> I like this. Capture the exception in the static initializer and then
> throw a new runtime exception in stripAccents that refers to said
> exception. Perhaps an IllegalStateException("blah", originalException)
> ?

Sounds less painful than the current code. Give it a try.

Gary

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
To see the security manager in action you just need to comment out one
line of code in the POM.

Ideally I would like to be able to run the tests twice, once with a d
without the sec man. Good luck to me trying to figure out how to do
this in maven :( ant would be easy ;)

Ideas?

Gary

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
This might be a bit OT, but is there a cardinal way to create code with and without doPrivileged code?
I mean something like pre-processing or a replacement with sed.

In OpenWebBeans we introduced a SecurityService SPI with 2 implementations:
A standard one without doPrivileged and an enforcing one. The ct of the enforcing one makes sure that it can only get created from within OWBs core so it cannot get tricked for non intended usage.

In our case it was not the problem with GAE but simply the fact that the SecurityManager only gets used pretty rarely and sucks a lot of the performance.
Since OWB as DI container heavily uses interceptors, we got way more than 1 million temporary objects/s and the performance drops by 25% when using doPrivileged.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 September 2011 12:06, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2011, at 1:21, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2 September 2011 01:20, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Specifically for StringUtils, should we have a SunStringUtils? This would
>>> let you know that you are depending on com.sun code.
>>
>> I really don't like that idea!
>>
>> Generally, it is non-Sun JVMs including Android that are the problem.
>> Lets just do the best we can on those.
>>
> But that is different that the actual issue of running under a
> security manager.

1) I don't think we should create a Sun-specific class.

2) However, we should ensure that the code behaves sensibly if the Sun
class is not available for whatever reason.
So we should ensure that we can test for that; ideally without needing
to edit the POM.

For components that explicitly use sun classes, we need to be able to
test both with and without Sun classes.

This should be achievable with a profile, but that is not ideal.
For components that rely on sun classes it would be best if the tests
were always run with both settings.
Then CI servers such as Gump and Continuum and Jenkins would be better
placed to warn of issues.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.