Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> on 2011/07/26 03:02:33 UTC

Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Hi all,

I've started adding documentation on the current metrics monitoring system
built into Flume Nodes and Flume Masters [1] . We'd really like some
feedback on what metrics are provided and  if the granularity is about
right, and if it is adequate for integrating with monitoring/alerting
systems like nagios/muni/ganglia/zenoss/et al.  Once this gets solidified,
we'll fold it into the formal documentation.

If folks are already using this, I'd love to hear about blog posts or
recipes!

Thanks,
Jon.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLUME/Monitoring+Flume

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
REST and JSON APIs already exist (in a deviously undocumented form).
Not sure about JSONP although I don't see a reason not to do as you
ask. File a JIRA maybe?

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Posted by Dan Everton <da...@iocaine.org>.

Posted by Dan Everton <da...@iocaine.org>.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
Mike:

Are four letter words preferable to, say, REST? I think REST is nicer
(maybe with 4LW URLs and responses rather than JSON) from an
accessibility point of view. I don't see a reason we couldn't do it,
but it would be *great* to back away from the "everything by the
(kitchen?) sink" mindset in terms of features.

(I demand double lucky number one points for my sink pun. Yes, you're
welcome. ;))

Thanks!

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
Mike:

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Starting to document metrics monitoring system in wiki.

Posted by Mike <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike <mi...@gmail.com>.