Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by "Lukasz L." <Lu...@sabre.com> on 2008/12/12 17:07:48 UTC

Signature question

Hi,

Maybe I should have asked this question here as it concerns WSS4J.
Please see
http://cwiki.apache.org/SM/discussion-forums.html#nabble-td20857457

Especially the question "Does server really uses the key from
signaturePropFile to verify the signature on incoming message? What's the
role of BinarySecurityToken in incoming message then?"

RE: Signature question

Posted by "Lukasz L." <Lu...@sabre.com>.
I did more tests and it seems that the problem is elsewhere (WSS4J works ok).
I updated original thread with the explanation
thanks for help

RE: Signature question

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@progress.com>.
> So server checks the trust of the signature by comparing it with the
key
> from the keystore doesn't it?

Yes, that's one of the steps - "direct trust". If that fails, it checks
for the issuer of the client certificate, and the trust path of the
issuer.

> : when I changed the
> keystore (for one containing wrong key) without changing the client
side I
> still didn't received any error and the message went fine.

That would be a major bug if true. Can you check this again, and
possibly submit a test-case?

> As for passwordCallbackClass I thought that in case of "Signature"
action
> this class is used to obtain password to the entry in keystore for
given
> alias (in signaturePropFile I have only password to the keystore
itself).
> Isn't that true?

Yes it is. But on the inbound side, you only need the public key to
verify a signature. You only need a password to access the corresponding
private key in the keystore.

Colm.

So server checks the trust of the signature by comparing it with the key
from the keystore doesn't it?
That makes sense but I experienced something other: when I changed the
keystore (for one containing wrong key) without changing the client side
still didn't received any error and the message went fine.
Am I missing something in the configuration?

As for passwordCallbackClass I thought that in case of "Signature"
action
this class is used to obtain password to the entry in keystore for given
alias (in signaturePropFile I have only password to the keystore
itself).
Isn't that true?

Lukasz

RE: Signature question