Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2008/12/02 21:23:48 UTC

Twist on Day Old Bread list idea

I'm experimenting with a new list. Been testing it for a couple of
months. Got a radical idea.

The problem with lists like Day Old Bread which lists new domains that
spammers use is that there's a delay between when they are activated and
when they are listed. It's just too hard to get a list of new domains.
So - I'm trying the opposite approach. What I'm doing is listing
existing domains and if it's not listed then it's new. So - here's how
it works.

You query hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com

Not listed = new (new to us anyhow)
127.0.2.1 = last day
127.0.2.2 = last week
127.0.2.3 = older than a week

OK - so here's the rub. This catches 100% of all new domains. But - it
will have false positives because if an old domain has never emailed
anyone we filter for then it would also be considered new. We keep 40
days of data. So - this list might be useful as long as it was combined
with additional tests (probably spambot tests) as a score enhancer.

Let me know if you find this of interest.

Re: Twist on Day Old Bread list idea

Posted by jp <jp...@saucer.midcoast.com>.
I think this would be a good DNS based list. It could have a slightly
longer TTL than most DNS lists, as it's timeline would be generally
pretty predictable. This would make the DNS caching an effective and
efficient way to utilize the data.

I'd like to be able to implement it such as "if the nameservers of the
domain aren't in my IP range, do this test".

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

Re: Twist on Day Old Bread list idea

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.