Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2009/03/20 07:42:14 UTC

Re: XWiki builds was: [vote] Maven 2.1.0

On 20/03/2009, at 1:36 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 19/03/2009, at 8:03 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> It's failing for XWiki's build...
>> Are you still running XWiki's build  on your hudson ci btw?
>>
>> It's failing with the gwt maven plugin.
>>
>> It works fine with 2.1.0-M1 though. Ping me if you need help to
>> reproduce it.
>>

> Can we get the error message? Like John, it's taking me a while to
> chase all the dependencies in weird locations to attempt the build.

Ok, got through the build with 2.1.0-M1.

Got this error on 2.1.0 that is not there in 2.1.0-M1:

Removing units with errors
    [ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/src/
main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/WysiwygService.java'
       [ERROR] Line 138: No source code is available for type
com.xpn.xwiki.gwt.api.client.XWikiGWTException; did you forget to
inherit a required module?
[...]
Removing invalidated units
    [WARN] Compilation unit 'file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/
src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/plugin/link/ui/
AbstractWikiPageLinkTab.java' is removed due to invalid reference(s):
       [WARN] file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/src/main/java/
com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/WysiwygService.java
[...]

Is that it?

However, running from within the directory, it works - it's only in
the reactor (either the whole lot, or just from the web directory)
where it fails. Running with -f from the web directory works, so I
suspect this is reactor related, not path adjustment related.

So, I've narrowed it down - now taking a closer look.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: XWiki builds was: [vote] Maven 2.1.0

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 20/03/2009, at 6:55 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> It is missing the -sources JAR for the GWT project before it.
>
> But this is a little weird...
> 1) built in the same directory, the sources JAR is added to the
> classpath list, as is the main one
> 2) built in the reactor, it is not added to the classpath list and
> fails
> 3) in 2.1.0-M1 built in the reactor, it is still not added to the
> classpath list, but succeeds in finding it somehow.
>
> I'm checking the GWT plugin source code.

Confirmed this occurred in MNG-4056 (r749612) - rolling it back has
the build pass again.

However, I consider this a bug in the GWT plugin, it is using
getCompileClasspathElements(), and expecting to get back the source
JAR. Source JARs are not meant to be on the classpath - however before
the above fix they were if you used the classifier/extension combo. A
simple fix in the GWT plugin fixes the problem without changing the
Maven release. I filed this with the project [1].

I'll update the release notes to make this clear.

Cheers,
Brett

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gwt-maven/issues/detail?id=200

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 20/03/2009, at 5:42 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 20/03/2009, at 1:36 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>

>> On 19/03/2009, at 8:03 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>>> It's failing for XWiki's build...
>>> Are you still running XWiki's build  on your hudson ci btw?
>>>
>>> It's failing with the gwt maven plugin.
>>>
>>> It works fine with 2.1.0-M1 though. Ping me if you need help to
>>> reproduce it.
>>>

>> Can we get the error message? Like John, it's taking me a while to
>> chase all the dependencies in weird locations to attempt the build.
>>

> Ok, got through the build with 2.1.0-M1.
>
> Got this error on 2.1.0 that is not there in 2.1.0-M1:
>
> Removing units with errors
>   [ERROR] Errors in 'file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/src/
> main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/WysiwygService.java'
>      [ERROR] Line 138: No source code is available for type
> com.xpn.xwiki.gwt.api.client.XWikiGWTException; did you forget to
> inherit a required module?
> [...]
> Removing invalidated units
>   [WARN] Compilation unit 'file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/
> src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/plugin/link/ui/
> AbstractWikiPageLinkTab.java' is removed due to invalid reference(s):
>      [WARN] file:/Users/brett/scm/xwiki/web/wysiwyg/src/main/java/
> com/xpn/xwiki/wysiwyg/client/WysiwygService.java
> [...]
>
> Is that it?
>
> However, running from within the directory, it works - it's only in
> the reactor (either the whole lot, or just from the web directory)
> where it fails. Running with -f from the web directory works, so I
> suspect this is reactor related, not path adjustment related.
>
> So, I've narrowed it down - now taking a closer look.

It is missing the -sources JAR for the GWT project before it.

But this is a little weird...
1) built in the same directory, the sources JAR is added to the
classpath list, as is the main one
2) built in the reactor, it is not added to the classpath list and fails
3) in 2.1.0-M1 built in the reactor, it is still not added to the
classpath list, but succeeds in finding it somehow.

I'm checking the GWT plugin source code.

- Brett