Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by enediel gonzalez <en...@hotmail.com> on 2006/07/25 19:59:49 UTC

rulesets for spamassasin

Hello
I'm using spamassassin  3.0.3-2 and every night I update it rule sets from
some web pages available.

But my concern is if exists a place on internet acting as the main
institution for this issue, I'm using a set of pages tested by others,
located on different places, and every night I download their contents, if
another page appears my systems won't be ready to use them unless manually I
add this reference.

I wish to download every night one page from an specific place, that contain
the references to all the pages with rules set that were generally accepted
by the community, in this way the systems could be automatically updated if
a new page appears on this set.

Thanks in advance for any answer

Enediel
Linux user 300141
Debian GNU/Linux

SCJP 1.5 ( Sun Certified Java Programmer)
Linux user 300141
Debian GNU/Linux

Re: rulesets for spamassasin

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "enediel gonzalez" <en...@hotmail.com>

> In this beautiful tutorial
> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier_p4
> you can find an example, but still my concern stays.

That tutorial includes at least one utter piece of trash. The
retrieval method for the updated rules is WAY WAY too naive to be
trusted. Even my simple roll-your-own tool archives the current
working set of rules (after cleaning out the archive location),
downloads the new set in a process not vastly different from that
script, and runs "spamassassin --lint". If that fails the archived
set is copied back to replace the downloaded item(s) that failed.
Otherwise it restarts/reloads spamd (or other spamassassin
daemonizing tool) and proceeds. I also block email reception during
the restart or reload time and a little while before and after.
Otherwise one or more items might escape getting marked up while
spamd is reloaded or the restart might not get properly processed
if many children are actively filtering mail at the time of the
restart. RulesDuJour is fancier.

And for fancy - there IS the SpamAssassin wiki. I highly recommend it.

{^_^}

Re: rulesets for spamassasin

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "enediel gonzalez" <en...@hotmail.com>
> >From: "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net>
>>To: <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
>>Subject: Re: rulesets for spamassasin
>>Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:39:56 -0700
>>
>>From: "enediel gonzalez" <en...@hotmail.com>
>>>
>>>Hello
>>>I'm using spamassassin  3.0.3-2 and every night I update it rule sets from some web
>>>pages available.
>>>
>>>But my concern is if exists a place on internet acting as the main institution for this
>>>issue, I'm using a set of pages tested by others, located on different places, and
>>>every night I download their contents, if >>>another page appears my systems won't be
>>>ready to use them unless manually >>>I add this reference.
>>>
>>>I wish to download every night one page from an specific place, that contain the
>>>references to all the pages with rules set that were generally accepted by the
>>>community, in this way the systems could be automatically updated if a new page appears
>>>on this set.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any answer
>>
>>There is no one set of rule sets that is ideal for everyone on this list
>>let alone everyone else.
>>
>>RulesDuJour is the magic you want to use. But you MUST select the rules
>>based on their descriptions that best fit the needs you face. Do you
>>need to be very conservative and avoid false positives (ham marked as
>>spam) at all costs while letting some spam escape markup? Is this for
>>yourself and you're feeling ruthless today?
>>
>>http://www.rulesemporium.com/ is your friend. But please do read the
>>descriptions of the rule sets before you incorporate them. And do not
>>go overboard until you have a better feel for what you are doing.
>>
>>{^_^}    Joanne
>
> Thanks all of you for the answers.
> I tried to find references about RulesDuJour and this is one
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200412.mbox/%3C20041201142147.W12016@radar.cbbyers.net%3E

>From the links page at RulesEmporium:
http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJour

It is probably also in the Wiki. If it isn't somebody should put it in.
Yup, it's there. "Custom Rule Sets" seems to be a bit obsolete at the
moment. But down at the bottom it does list additional collections with
RulesEmporium listed. And above that Automatic Updates that shows
RulesDuJour, which is not a part of RulesEmporium but certainly updates
SARE rules quite nicely.

> In this beautiful tutorial
> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier_p4
> you can find an example, but still my concern stays.

I've learned not to trust tutorials. (And I have heard there is one
person alive who thoroughly understands PostFix. He currently lives
in an insane asylum. {^_-})

{^_^}

Re: rulesets for spamassasin

Posted by enediel gonzalez <en...@hotmail.com>.
>From: "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net>
>To: <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: rulesets for spamassasin
>Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:39:56 -0700
>
>From: "enediel gonzalez" <en...@hotmail.com>
>>
>>Hello
>>I'm using spamassassin  3.0.3-2 and every night I update it rule sets from
>>some web pages available.
>>
>>But my concern is if exists a place on internet acting as the main
>>institution for this issue, I'm using a set of pages tested by others,
>>located on different places, and every night I download their contents, if
>>another page appears my systems won't be ready to use them unless manually
>>I add this reference.
>>
>>I wish to download every night one page from an specific place, that
>>contain the references to all the pages with rules set that were generally
>>accepted by the community, in this way the systems could be automatically
>>updated if a new page appears on this set.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any answer
>
>There is no one set of rule sets that is ideal for everyone on this list
>let alone everyone else.
>
>RulesDuJour is the magic you want to use. But you MUST select the rules
>based on their descriptions that best fit the needs you face. Do you
>need to be very conservative and avoid false positives (ham marked as
>spam) at all costs while letting some spam escape markup? Is this for
>yourself and you're feeling ruthless today?
>
>http://www.rulesemporium.com/ is your friend. But please do read the
>descriptions of the rule sets before you incorporate them. And do not
>go overboard until you have a better feel for what you are doing.
>
>{^_^}    Joanne

Thanks all of you for the answers.
I tried to find references about RulesDuJour and this is one
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200412.mbox/%3C20041201142147.W12016@radar.cbbyers.net%3E

Instead of www.cbbyers.net or another site, I expected to see something like
that at the spamassassin's site, where everybody can visit and select the
rules directly from there.

In this beautiful tutorial
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier_p4
you can find an example, but still my concern stays.

?why all this effort is not concentrate in one place?, many administrators
won't find all these results and efforts if they are dispersed  by all
Internet.

Maybe my suggestion is out place, please forgive me if somebody has this
idea, I appreciate and consider the efforts and results of everybody.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "enediel gonzalez" <en...@hotmail.com>

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:28:27PM -0700, Bret Miller wrote:
> SpamAssassin, by nature, is community developed. The only official rule
> sets are the ones distributed with SpamAssassin, and (beginning with
> version 3.1.3) updated by sa-update.

Just for correctness, sa-update started in 3.1.1 actually.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Holy DNS batman, you aren't on my list!"   - Error message

RE: rulesets for spamassasin

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.

> I'm using spamassassin  3.0.3-2 and every night I update it
> rule sets from some web pages available.
>
> But my concern is if exists a place on internet acting as the main
> institution for this issue, I'm using a set of pages tested
> by others,
> located on different places, and every night I download their
> contents, if
> another page appears my systems won't be ready to use them
> unless manually I
> add this reference.
>
> I wish to download every night one page from an specific
> place, that contain
> the references to all the pages with rules set that were
> generally accepted
> by the community, in this way the systems could be
> automatically updated if
> a new page appears on this set.
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer

SpamAssassin, by nature, is community developed. The only official rule
sets are the ones distributed with SpamAssassin, and (beginning with
version 3.1.3) updated by sa-update.

Other rule sets exist and are maintained by other contributors. Whether
you trust them or not is up to you. www.rulesemporium.com is probably
the most commonly trusted spot for additional rule sets, but certainly
not the only one. For automatic updates, try RulesDuJour
(http://www.exit0.us/index.php?pagename=RulesDuJour) for *nix systems or
RulesUpdater for Windows (see the page below).

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets describes some of the
available rule sets. Note that the wiki can be updated by anyone who
signs up, so it's up to you to test the rules before implementing them
on your server.

Bret