Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Law <JL...@generic-software.com> on 2008/02/28 16:54:57 UTC

Does tomcat support multicores

Os - WinXP

CPU - Intel Quad Core

Hi I'm running a tomcat server, and would like to know if Tomcat can
make use of multiple cores? When I max the server out, all 4 cores see
little usage however the java process never uses more than 25%.

So this makes me believe that Tomcat does not make use of a multicore
system.

Would I benefit from running more than one instance and setup load
bearing between the two?

Thanks

James Law

Search all of our current vacancies at www.generic-software.com

The information contained within this message is intended for the addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee, please delete this message and notify the sender - you
should not copy, distribute or disclose its contents to other parties.

Any images, documents, views or opinions expressed in this message are
those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Generic
Software Consultants Ltd or any of its affiliates. No reliance may be
placed on this message without written confirmation from an authorised
company representative, and no actions should be taken based on its
contents.

Generic Software Consultants Ltd Registered in England No. 2830109 @
St. Andrews House, Caldecotte Lake Drive, Caldecotte Business Park,
Milton Keynes. MK7 8LE
Tel: 01908 278450
VAT Registered No: 608 6625 28

Re: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
(Please excuse the boring licensing details, but I've seen a lot of
misinformation on this topic.)

Microsoft Windows is licensed per-processor, not per-core. XP Home
supports 1 processor and XP Pro supports 2 processors. Each processor
may have multiple cores. Server versions can support more than 2
processors but you pay for them. (Vista works similarly.)

I've got a machine running Windows XP Home with 2 cores (Athlon X2)
and it definitely uses both cores. And it's running Tomcat. :-)

reference: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx
--
Len

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R
> Subject: RE: Does tomcat support multicores
>
> > From: James Law [mailto:JLaw@generic-software.com]
> > Subject: Does tomcat support multicores
> >
> > Hi I'm running a tomcat server, and would like to know if Tomcat can
> > make use of multiple cores?
>
> Of course - assuming your JVM does

And your OS.  Doesn't XP limit itself to two cores?

 - Chuck

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: James Law [mailto:JLaw@generic-software.com]
> Subject: Does tomcat support multicores
>
> Hi I'm running a tomcat server, and would like to know if Tomcat can
> make use of multiple cores?

Of course - assuming your JVM does (and any modern JVM does - but you
didn't bother to mention which one you're using).

The fact that you're not seeing much CPU utilization simply means your
tests are limited by something else, such as I/O or database access.

 - Chuck

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.
What kind of work is Tomcat doing for each request that WAPT sends in?

For example, if you were doing something that had to go back to a
database, and you had a bad sync block in your code somewhere, or
didn't have enough connections in your DB pool, that could cause it to
behave like it is single threaded - because all of the threads / cores
are contending for some shared resource.

Or, if you are just serving pages, perhaps you are disk bound, and
your disk drive just isn't fast enough.

Or, perhaps you have reached the limit of how much load WAPT can generate.

There are lots of avenues to explore here, but they are all
implementation specific.

Dan

RE: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by James Law <JL...@generic-software.com>.
We use a program called WAPT to ramp up the amount of requests sent to Tomcat, probably not the best way going off what has been said.
It got to the point were it the Java process never go above 25% cpu usage while the memory usage increases accordingly. Which is why I assumed it would not making proper use of the cores.
Currently using Java 1.6.

Posted by "Baron, Bob (LNG-HBE)" <Bo...@lexisnexis.com>.
It works just fine!

My guess would be that the load you're putting on it is single threaded, so there's only a single thread executing on the server. You're really only asking it to do one thing at a time.

Make sure that you're running multiple concurrent loads.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does tomcat support multicores

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
tomcat is core agnostic, it lets the JVM handle it, and the answer is
yes, most JVMs will support multi core machines

Filip