Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Kyle Gabhart <kg...@objectsoln.com> on 2001/07/10 20:16:09 UTC

Why Axis?

Hello,

My name is Kyle Gabhart and I am working on a Java and SOAP book for
Oreilly.  I have searched all over the axis site, and I am having trouble
distinguishing its purpose from that of Apache SOAP.  It seems that there is
more focus on interop issues than Apache SOAP.  Is this accurate?  Is Axis
Apache SOAP v3, or an interoperable, bare bones version, or an entirely
different animal?  Thanks for your time.

 Cordially,

 Kyle Gabhart
 Director of Java/EJB Division
 Objective Solutions, Inc.
 _____________________________
  Cell:   972.489.7367
  Phone:  972.480.8999 ext. 425
  Fax:    972.480.8236

  www.objectsoln.com
  2929 N. Central Expressway, Suite 100
  Richardson, TX 75080
 _____________________________

Re: Why Axis?

Posted by Robert J Walker <ro...@moh.hnet.bc.ca>.
Hi Kyle.
I am a user of the SOAP toolkit and I can share one point of difference.
When these folks set out to implement a toolkit like AXIS they generally
settle on some kind of approach
or phylosphy for the design. In this case AXIS is somewhat more stream
oriented than Apache-SOAP.
Perhaps it is fair to say that the AXIS implementation is stream
oriented and the Apache-SOAP toolkit is not.
-However I am not qualified to make that claim.
Who cares about such details? Well I do because the Apache-SOAP toolkit
will not work to solve my problem, whereas the AXIS toolkit should.
Below I have included some fragments of discussion pertaining to
concerns arising from my current project where I am trying to implement
high volume file transfer under Apache SOAP.

Fragment of post from me:

Hi Axl.
In the current Apache-SOAP implementation, the entire file attachment is
read into memory before it is sent, and similarily when received I
believe. Consequently, when I send many SOAP messages each with a large
file attachment to a server the server quickly runs of memory,
exceptions are thrown and threads die.
Obviously not what you want to see when building a robust [enterprise
oriented] application.
If I may suggest then that this "in memory" issue be given some
consideration in your future implementation of file attachments.

Robert Walker

Fragment of post from Rob Jellinghause:

Apache SOAP implements attachments via a MIME body class that the message
gets read into first, with accessors for the various parts of the message.
Something like that could certainly be done for Axis as well, though Axis
is written more around a streaming model (parse only the bits you need when
you need them).  It would be great to write the MIME body class using a
streaming model (i.e. provide streaming access to the first element, then
the second, etc.).  This would also address Robert Walker's concern
regarding memory consumption from reading all attachments into memory.
======

Hope this helps. (Do I get a free copy of the book? :) - just kidding! )

-Robert Walker

Re: Why Axis?

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@newInstance.com>.
Sorry.. meant to be off-list... score one for me in the stupid column ;-)

-Brett

Re: Why Axis?

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <br...@newInstance.com>.
Hey Kyle-

  Sounds like we need to talk ;-) I just ran through all this myself, in
writing the SOAP and web services chapter for Java and XML, 2nd edition.
Maybe we can con. call one day? Who's your editor? I copied Mike L on this,
btw...

-Brett