Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Adam Leggett <Ad...@upco.co.uk> on 2006/06/16 12:44:51 UTC

Build Version Numbering

Hi all,

I have added a versioning profile to a Maven 2 pom as follows

<profiles>
		<profile>
			<id>version-increment</id>
			<build>
				<plugins>
					<plugin>

						<executions>
							<execution>

<id>increment version</id>

<phase>generate-sources</phase>

<configuration>

<tasks>

<taskdef name="jreleaseinfo"
classname="ch.oscg.jreleaseinfo.anttask.JReleaseInfoAntTask"
classpath="maven.plugin.dependency.classpath">
</taskdef>

<jreleaseinfo className="SimpleVersionInfo"
packageName="uk.co.upco.engage"
 targetDir="${project.build.directory}"
 buildNumFile="${basedir}/version.properties"
 buildNumProperty="buildnum"></jreleaseinfo>

</tasks>

</configuration>
								<goals>

<goal>run</goal>
								</goals>
							</execution>
						</executions>
					</plugin>
					<plugin>

<artifactId>maven-scm-plugin</artifactId>
					      <executions>
						      <execution>

<phase>package</phase>
							<configuration>

<includes>version.properties</includes>

<message>incremented build version</message>
							</configuration>
							<goals>

<goal>checkin</goal>
							</goals>
						     </execution>
					    </executions>
					  </plugin>
				</plugins>
			</build>
		</profile>
	</profiles>

This allows me to display the build version of my app when its packaged.
I'd like to tie this to my continuum builds somehow. If only continuum
runs the profile, it does the increment and checks in the version
number. I'd like to match the version number to continuums own build
number, but I cant figure how to do this.

Continuum seems to
a) not list failed builds with an id and
b) log the builds with a different id e.g. my m2 project build#5 is
logged as 135.log.txt

Does anyone have an idea of how to best approach this issue of
versioning builds with continuum?

TIA

Adam

Adam Leggett <ad...@upco.co.uk>
Senior Consultant
UPCO
Direct Line: 0113 20 10 631
Fax: 0113 20 10 666
<http://www.upco.co.uk>

The contents of this email are intended for the named addresses and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If received in error,
please contact UPCO head office on +44(0)113 201 0600 and then delete
the entire mail from your system. Unauthorised review, distribution,
disclosure or other use of information could constitute a breach of
confidence. Your co-operation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Every effort has been taken to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus-free. However, UPCO does not make any warranty
to this effect, and is not liable for any damage done by an infected
email message or attachment. UPCO recommends that all emails and
attachments are checked before opening.

All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its
attachements are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect
the views and opinions of The Ultimate People Company Ltd.

Re: Build Version Numbering

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
it isn't possible actually to define your own build number in continuum. The build number generated
by continuum is an internal number.

what is the interest of your version.properties file? Do you use it in your code?

You can tag your code after each success build.

Emmanuel