Posted to mirrors@apache.org by april levin <ap...@raver.net> on 1998/09/26 04:37:14 UTC

rsync

I've noticed a marked slowness in transfer rates after switching to rsync
(from ftp) for mirroring purposes.

Our script (which runs the rsync line taken from the mirroring page at
apache.org and then does some minor local adjustments such as moving things
from tmp to the ftp area, etc.) begins to run at around 3:30/4am and often
does not finish until late afternoon.

using ftp under these same circumstances (time, script, etc.) was much
quicker and took under an hour or two.

i recall some mention of disallowing ftp for mirroring. this is a concern
of mine as i feel as though rsync may be causing more bandwidth usage
problems (given that it is running during business hours/busier traffic
hours) than it is worth.

i would appreciate some thoughts on this.
has anyone else expressed any feelings corroberating my above statements?

thanks much,
.april

Re: rsync

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, april levin wrote:
> At 02:16 AM 9/26/98 , you wrote:
> >I have the exact opposite experience. How do you mirror using rsync?
> >You are not using the "-c", right? It will slow things down.
>
> I've been using this (which, coincidentally is exactly the same as the one
> in apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html):
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -rtvz --delete --exclude incoming
> dev.apache.org::apache-site /tmp/www.apache.org

I can't think of a reason why rsync would be slower than FTP mirroring,
especially that part about it taking all day, expecially since you're on a
cable modem too.  Weird.

	Brian

Re: rsync

Posted by april levin <ap...@raver.net>.
At 02:16 AM 9/26/98 , you wrote:
>I have the exact opposite experience. How do you mirror using rsync?
>You are not using the "-c", right? It will slow things down.

I've been using this (which, coincidentally is exactly the same as the one
in apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html):

/usr/local/bin/rsync -rtvz --delete --exclude incoming
dev.apache.org::apache-si
te /tmp/www.apache.org

thanks,
.april