Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2010/06/09 18:10:30 UTC

Uses of tool wrapper, sourcong setenv

After updating the tool wrapper script I noticed, that it sources setenv
and that this might not be adequate.

Actually I don't know the common or possible use cases of the script and
searching didn't reveal much. Users typically set JVM size in setenv and
at least for the digest feature it would be counter productive. Assume
the system allocating another 1 Gig just for doing an MD5 hash ...

Any opinion whether we should drop sourcing setenv in the tool wrapper
script?

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Uses of tool wrapper, sourcong setenv

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/6/9 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 09/06/2010 17:10, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> After updating the tool wrapper script I noticed, that it sources setenv
>> and that this might not be adequate.
>>
>> Actually I don't know the common or possible use cases of the script and
>> searching didn't reveal much. Users typically set JVM size in setenv and
>> at least for the digest feature it would be counter productive. Assume
>> the system allocating another 1 Gig just for doing an MD5 hash ...
>>
>> Any opinion whether we should drop sourcing setenv in the tool wrapper
>> script?
>
> I'm thinking drop the tool wrapper script, drop o.a.c.startup.Tool, move
> the digest code from RealmBase to o.a.c.util.Digest and make sure the
> code has zero dependencies (and a nice big javadoc warning to keep it
> that way).

Moving that code from RealmBase to some standalone class makes
perfect sense for me,  but I have doubts about the rest of the above proposal.

> make sure the code has zero dependencies

It still has dependency on JRE that provides the digesting algorithm.

// trunk RealBase, line 1184:
        (MessageDigest) MessageDigest.getInstance(algorithm).clone();

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Uses of tool wrapper, sourcong setenv

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/06/2010 17:10, Rainer Jung wrote:
> After updating the tool wrapper script I noticed, that it sources setenv
> and that this might not be adequate.
>
> Actually I don't know the common or possible use cases of the script and
> searching didn't reveal much. Users typically set JVM size in setenv and
> at least for the digest feature it would be counter productive. Assume
> the system allocating another 1 Gig just for doing an MD5 hash ...
>
> Any opinion whether we should drop sourcing setenv in the tool wrapper
> script?

I'm thinking drop the tool wrapper script, drop o.a.c.startup.Tool, move
the digest code from RealmBase to o.a.c.util.Digest and make sure the
code has zero dependencies (and a nice big javadoc warning to keep it
that way).

Mark

Re: Uses of tool wrapper, sourcong setenv

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/6/9 Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>:

> Users typically set JVM size in setenv

See the difference between JAVA_OPTS, CATALINA_OPTS and TOOL_OPTS,
as documented in catalina.sh and tool-wrapper.sh

I think that we should not drop sourcing setenv.sh.

E.g., one can use setenv.sh to specify JAVA_HOME.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko