Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no> on 2014/12/05 16:36:46 UTC

Re: Maven assembly plugin : includeBaseDirectory not correctly used

You should create an issue at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY

Hervé/Others:

Since the attachement made it through, I took a quick look. The
problem is that the modello-generated assembly descriptor has a
"boolean" type for this value. Since the assembly descriptor
interpolation happens "after" the AssemblyXpp3Reader has done its job,
the only solution I can think of is to change the datatype of this
field to "string"; which would preserve the original expression long
enough for the interpolator to get hold of it. Is there any other way
?

(Hmm. I could interpolate the assembly descriptor as an xml string
*before* feeding it to AssemblyXpp3Reader, does that make sense ?)

Kristian

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I solved interpolation of boolean values
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-743) in modello 1.8.3 and
r1644916.

I just though I'd like to add that the "new" solution with injection
through the Xpp3Reader turned out to be a fair bit "simpler" than the
old ObjectInterpolator strategy, it turned out to be a much more
"natural" fit, since the interpolation target is 1:1 with the stuff
being read, and there is no impedance mismatch. I seriously doubt that
a stream-based approach will be better, since it basically introduces
the same kind of impedance mismatch that I just removed again...

Kristian

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
The extension I added to Xpp3Reader is simple and is not coupled to
any kind of specific external code and is just a general purpose
extension point.

Swizzle looks cool. I'm not entirely convinced interpolation at the
stream level will be entirely without a round of gotchas, various
forms of xml related escaping being the first that come to mind.
Certainly if someone wants to give it a shot and iron out the
interesting bugs that will arise I'l be more than happy to try it.
Field-level interpolation is safe.

(And technically, extracting the interpolator enough to inject it in
the proper place is the most significant change for the code base.
Injecting "differently" is a minor change if it should ever come
around)

Kristian

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
Wouldn't it be easier to add interpolation with something like:

Model model = MavenXpp3Reader.read(new MyFilterInputStream(inputStream));

Instead of adding interpolation into Modello?

Swizzle has lots of nice filtering implementations:

http://svn.codehaus.org/swizzle/trunk/swizzle-stream/src/main/java/org/codehaus/swizzle/stream/

On Dec 8, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fixed interpolation in modello for Xpp3reader.
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MODELLO-290. Build 1.8.3-SNAPSHOT from
> git if you want to test it.
>
> I'll play around with base class generation for a day or two before
> releasing 1.8.3 (maybe 1.9)

>>> Do you think this is feasible ?
>> we maintain the generator, so anything is feasible if it's valid java :)
>>
>> one hard part is to demonstrate the code you intend to generate before hacking
>> the generator, because hacking the generator is always hard
>> And I didn't really get the idea yet.
>>

>>> There is still the issue of the "boolean" datatype.
>> notice the issue is in fact for any data type that is not String:
>> interpolation requires to happen on String, and data type conversion has to to
>> be done after interpolation
>>

>> which takes us to the demo before hacking the generator
>>
>> IMHO, we should create a little demo project with interpolation, let the code
>> generate and hack generated code to show how interpolation support can be
>> added
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le samedi 6 décembre 2014 19:29:09 Kristian Rosenvold a écrit :
>>> I have been thinking about adding a "generateSuperclasses" option to
>>> modello that would actually put the generated classes in a subpackage
>>> "generated" and let the actual implementation be up to the client (so
>>> in this case I would implement the class
>>> org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.model.Assembly which would extend the
>>> class org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.model.generated.Assembly
>>> generated by modello. AssemblyXpp3Reader would instantiate
>>> org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.model.Assembly). So I would have
>>> custom code in org.apache.maven.plugin.assembly.model.Assembly that
>>> could extend the generated code
>>>
>>> Do you think this is feasible ?
>>>
>>> There is still the issue of the "boolean" datatype. Changing 30
>>> booleans to strings leads to a huge and undesirable footprint in the
>>> code. Using custom-written subclasses could solve some of this (and a
>>> few other problems of code generation too!)
>>>
>>> If we were able to make modello classes extend regular classes, I
>>> think it would be easy to make a *Xpp3Reader that supports
>>> interpolation. Is there any way we could do this ? (Maybe make a
>>> modello-client module that can contain modello base classes ?)
>>>
>>> Kristian

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Maven assembly plugin : includeBaseDirectory not correctly used

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.