Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Nimish Chourey , Tidel Park - Chennai" <Ni...@msdc.hcltech.com> on 2003/05/28 06:30:22 UTC

Tiles .. Should what level should one Drill down

Hi All ,
	Looking at the examples of Tiles , I could make out that if you see
a pattern in your JSP's then they could be easily factored into templates or
what you can also called as tiles . For eg . you can divide your page in
terms of Menu , Header , footer and body . Now my question is till what
level can we define tiles or templates ??
Say I have a form with say 4 tables . These tables are similar . I mean I
could easily make a template for these tabels .
And these type of tables are used in all my JSP's .
Should I make a tile for this type of table . The point to note here is
these all tables are in a single form .
If I go ahead with this , what type of problems can I face ? Or the tiles
should  really be used at very high level ie say at Menu Footer Header level
??

Hope I have made my question clear .
Comments are welcome ..

Nimish

Re: Tiles .. Should what level should one Drill down

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.

Nimish Chourey , Tidel Park - Chennai wrote:

>Hi All ,
>	Looking at the examples of Tiles , I could make out that if you see
>a pattern in your JSP's then they could be easily factored into templates or
>what you can also called as tiles . For eg . you can divide your page in
>terms of Menu , Header , footer and body . Now my question is till what
>level can we define tiles or templates ??
>Say I have a form with say 4 tables . These tables are similar . I mean I
>could easily make a template for these tabels .
>And these type of tables are used in all my JSP's .
>Should I make a tile for this type of table .

  You can make a Tile for your tables, and for any part of a page that
is often used. This will improve reuse and reduce maintenance.

>The point to note here is
>these all tables are in a single form .

  You can insert tiles inside a form. What you should care about is that
the open and close tag of the form should be in the same tile. There is
an  example  in  tiles-documentation.war under /tutorial/invoice showing
the possible use of a form with reusable tiles.

    Cedric