Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chantal Ackermann <ch...@biomax.de> on 2001/12/05 09:22:04 UTC

FileNotFoundException

hello all,

I am still trying to find the best way to index a really big amount of data.
at the moment I am trying to index each of the 29 textfiles in a single
thread using for each an own IndexWriter and an own directory where to place
the index. there are always six threads working the same time.

the problem that occures now is that every second thread stops due to a
FileNotFoundException or an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException (the latter only
once) while the other half finishes fine. the file's name is different for
each thread but has always the extension ".fnm".

for example:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/lucenetest/medlineIndex/1976-1977/_2zfj.fnm (Datei oder
Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java(Compiled
Code))        at
java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java(Compiled Code))
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.maybeMergeSegments(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(Unknown Source)
        at
de.biomax.lucenetest.MedlineRecordIndexer.indexDocs(MedlineRecordIndexer.java(Compiled
Code))

since half of the files are indexed without throwing that kind of exception
I'm at a loss where to start debugging. any ideas?

thanks a lot
chantal

Re: FileNotFoundException

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@blackwell.co.uk>.
I don't have an explanation for this, but if it was me indexing
this large amount of data I'd be running each of the 6 in a
completely separate process.  More control, less damage when
one bit fails, perhaps better performance on a multi-processor
machine.  And perhaps you wouldn't get this problem!

--
Ian.
ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk