Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Daniel Gong <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/11 07:43:51 UTC

[GSoC] My Progress Update

Hi all,

Here is my progress update.

My planned timeline is as follows:

Week 1       Read and fully understand the JDB specification;
Week 2-3    Read and get familiar with the Eclipse JDI library;
Week 4-8    Coding and debugging for the implementaiton of JDB;
Week 9-11  Coding and debugging for the extensive enhancement;
Week 12     Complete the documentation work.

It's been more than 6 weeks since the community binding period ended and
coding period began. I've got more familiar with the Eclipse JDI library and
the usage of jdb, and made a initial design of the jdb implementation. My
follow-up task includes improving the design and "filling" each command one
by one.

Frankly speaking, my progress is a little behind the plan and I have to
admit that I underestimated the complexity of jdb. There's no detailed
documentation describing and specifying jdb behaviour and it cost me too
much time to run RI's jdb to determine every detailed jdb response to
certain user action. More, I have to understand these use cases and combine
them to produce a proper design scheme to organize jdb functions to make it
more maintainable and compatible with RI. I believe that once a proper
design scheme is done, "filling in" functionality of each command will be
much easier and I can improve its compatibility by extending it step by
step.

I don't know if it is possible to adjust my plan and target to make it
more realistic. I've discussed with Mark and his opinion is complete
compatibility is not required as long as my code has enough contribution to
the community. However, "enough contribution" is hard to define and I hope
everyone who has some suggestion can help me with it. I'll appreciate it
very much because this project is really challenging me.

Thanks.

Best wishes
Daniel Gong

Re: [GSoC] My Progress Update

Posted by Daniel Gong <da...@gmail.com>.
Best wishes
Daniel Gong

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Regis <xu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-11 13:43, Daniel Gong wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is my progress update.
>>
>> My planned timeline is as follows:
>>
>> Week 1       Read and fully understand the JDB specification;
>>
> May 24 ~ May 30

> Week 2-3    Read and get familiar with the Eclipse JDI library;
>>
> May 31 ~ Jun  13

> Week 4-8    Coding and debugging for the implementaiton of JDB;
>
> Jun 14 ~ July 18

> Week 9-11  Coding and debugging for the extensive enhancement;
>>
> July 19 ~ Aug 8

> Week 12     Complete the documentation work.
>>
> Aug 9 ~ Aug 16

Aug 9th is the suggested pencil down date. The last week is for
documentation work.

> What is start/end time of your each work item?
>

>  It's been more than 6 weeks since the community binding period ended and
>> coding period began. I've got more familiar with the Eclipse JDI library
>> and
>> the usage of jdb, and made a initial design of the jdb implementation. My
>> follow-up task includes improving the design and "filling" each command
>> one
>> by one.
>>
>> Frankly speaking, my progress is a little behind the plan and I have to
>> admit that I underestimated the complexity of jdb. There's no detailed
>> documentation describing and specifying jdb behaviour and it cost me too
>> much time to run RI's jdb to determine every detailed jdb response to
>> certain user action. More, I have to understand these use cases and
>> combine
>> them to produce a proper design scheme to organize jdb functions to make
>> it
>> more maintainable and compatible with RI. I believe that once a proper
>> design scheme is done, "filling in" functionality of each command will be
>> much easier and I can improve its compatibility by extending it step by
>> step.
>>
>> I don't know if it is possible to adjust my plan and target to make it
>> more realistic. I've discussed with Mark and his opinion is complete
>> compatibility is not required as long as my code has enough contribution
>> the community. However, "enough contribution" is hard to define and I hope
>>

> In my understanding, "enough contribution" maybe a code base, design
> documentation that everyone is able to work on it together.
>
> I think I can achieve this goal. In the original plan, I have to complete
the jdb implementation (though may not be 100% compatible) and add some
enhancement, which seems too challenging for me because I have no detailed
specification then I've to try everything by myself...

Re: [GSoC] My Progress Update

Posted by Regis <xu...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,