Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk> on 2005/06/01 16:02:21 UTC

RE: Mailet, matcher and distribution list

Well, I'm not sure exactly how the sar loader works, so I don't really know
why that didn't work.  I would recommend downloading the source for the
version of james you have, then replace the java file, and build.  You will
then have a new SAR file.  This is what I do, and it works fine.

Daniel.

RE: Nobody replied to me about Virtual Domains..

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.
it is already shipped with James-2.2, what is your version of James ?

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.
> Why is it so hard to implement virtual domains?

write the code :-)
community will appreciate that.

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
> A while ago I send an email but nobody replied... that "solution" that
> you have in your FAQ - does it work?

Yes.

As for last questions, see below:

> 1)       Performance of James seems to be a bit slow compared to qmail.
> With qmail, if I wanted to send myself an email message, I would usually
> get it right back on my MUA within the same send/receive.  With James it
> usually takes about 10 seconds (and it's running on a test serer, not
> development one so there's no load)

No idea on your issue, but performance and smtp-in-to-inbox mail transfer
are two totally different issues. As long as it reaches the inbox in a
reasonable time it's ok.  Performance of a mail server really should be
measured in what sort of email load it can handle.  Also, it depends on what
the server is doing: what do you have set up in the mail chain? for example,
any of the spam lookups take time.  Also i dont know if the spool sleeps
when it has no mails? etc,etc,etc.

> 2)       I'm hosting 3 different domains.  I understand that virtual
> hosting isn't yet implemented, so does this mean that if I create an
> account "sales", all sales@domain1 sales@domain2 sales@domain3 messages
> will go into the same account?  I read the following:
> http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#7   - does that actually work?  There
> seems to be no good explanation on installing it, can somebody help me
> with that?
>
> Thanks a lot, I hope I can contribute to James somehow in a future (I'm
> a java dev)

Easy... create the table. Add the database repository if you aren't already
using same database for users.  Add the mailet into your config.xml (in root
near top).

Then, choose a naming scheme and stick to it, or you will very quickly loose
control: eg: user.domain or user%domain, and set up users as normal users,
and in virtual table:
[user,domain,target]
sales,domain1.com,sales.domain1.com
sales,domain2.com,sales.domain2.com
bob,domain1.com,bob.domain1.com

then set up users:
sales.domain1.com
sales.domain2.com
bob.domain1.com

I'm using it to host lots of domains.  Though i wrote a quick'and'dirty php
app to manage the users/virtualusers (combined) and forwarders (from virtual
users).

Daniel.

Nobody replied to me about Virtual Domains..

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.

RE: Mailet, matcher and distribution list IT WORKS!!!!, another question

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
I've done this with a very simple php app (using mysql as users store).

Otherwise, you'll have to write your own command (very similar to
subscribe-confirm)

Daniel.

Posted by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it>.
Hi to everybody,

Posted by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it>.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
Ah,

Posted by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it>.
Thanks all for your support.

Re: HostIsLocal Matcher

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
It checks (case-insensitive) if the recipient's address "host" part is
among the servers listed as a <servername> in the <servernames> entry in
config.xml.

Vincenzo

HostIsLocal Matcher

RE: rejected mail - was RE: Mailet, matcher and distribution list

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
It means that the spamwatch filtered rejected it.  Details off-list.

	--- Noel

rejected mail - was RE: Mailet, matcher and distribution list

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
I tried to reply this message and got back:

Failed to deliver to 'server-user@james.apache.org'
SMTP module(domain james.apache.org) reports:
 message text rejected by mail.apache.org:
 552 You have entered a blackhole from which few have returned (body).

What's the deal here?

Re: Mailet, matcher and distribution list

Posted by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it>.
Thanks Daniel, but unfortunately I got another exception, here my
config.xml and the exception,
the exception say "No value is associated with the configuration element
"listName" at -;", but the elemente there is and its value is "james"

please help me I'm going crazy,

         <mailet match="RecipientIs=james@localhost"
class="CommandListservProcessor">
            <membersonly>true</membersonly>
            <attachmentsallowed>true</attachmentsallowed>
            <replytolist>false</replytolist>
            <repositoryName>list-james</repositoryName>
            <subjectprefix>Prefisso</subjectprefix>
            <specifiedpostersonly>true</specifiedpostersonly>
            <autobracket>true</autobracket>
            <listOwner>owner@localhost</listOwner>
            <listName>*james*</listName>
            <allowedposters>
               <address>webmaster@localhost</address>
            </allowedposters>
         </mailet>

and this is the exception:
08/06/05 14:39:11 ERROR spoolmanager: Unable to init mailet
CommandListservManager: javax.mail.MessagingException: No value is
associated with the configuration element "listName" at -;
  nested exception is:
    org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: No
value is associated with the configuration element "listName" at -
javax.mail.MessagingException: No value is associated with the
configuration element "listName" at -;
  nested exception is:
    org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: No
value is associated with the configuration element "listName" at -
    at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.CommandListservManager.init(CommandListservManager.java:306)

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.

Posted by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it>.
I understood why it seems to not load the desired class,
I didn't know that I have to change also the referenced class into the
mailet block into the config.xml, so it was:
    <#> <mailet match="CommandForListserv=newsletter@localhost"
class="*AvalonListservManager*">
<>       <repositoryName>list-newsletter</repositoryName>
</mailet>

   <#>  <mailet match="RecipientIs=newsletter@localhost"
class="*AvalonListserv*">