Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Harry Yu <50...@qq.com> on 2012/11/13 09:55:03 UTC

How to use POI-XSSF to read the Excel 2007 file which is too large

hello,     I met a trouble when I used XSSF to read the 07 file which has 75W records. And its size is about 30M. When I use XSSFWork to load the file. The error would appear : java.lang.OutOfMemory : Java heap space.  I think that the problem is the size of file too large. And JVM can't support enough space.
    I don't want to simply increase the memory allocation for JVM. Because it's not always useful , if the file which I operate is too much large to over the size of RAM.
    I would like to know the solution how to load a large amount of records by chunks for downstream processing. Those which api can solve this.  Or anyone have better solutions.

   Thanks
  Harry Yu

Re: How to use POI-XSSF to read the Excel 2007 file which is too large

Posted by Bodo Wippermann <bo...@bodow.de>.
Am 13.11.2012 09:55, schrieb Harry Yu:
> hello,     I met a trouble when I used XSSF to read the 07 file which has 75W records. And its size is about 30M. When I use XSSFWork to load the file. The error would appear : java.lang.OutOfMemory : Java heap space.  I think that the problem is the size of file too large. And JVM can't support enough space.
>      I don't want to simply increase the memory allocation for JVM. Because it's not always useful , if the file which I operate is too much large to over the size of RAM.
>      I would like to know the solution how to load a large amount of records by chunks for downstream processing. Those which api can solve this.  Or anyone have better solutions.
>
>     Thanks
>    Harry Yu

perhaps you can use the Streaming API SXSSF ?

regards
Bodo