Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Julian Cash <j...@supersnail.com> on 2008/05/06 16:08:47 UTC

perl + shindig = happiness and joy

Shindig joy and goodness...

Shindig is an amazing project!  Clearly apps/widgets are the way of the
future.  In the next decade, the interoperability and openness of open
social will make it one of the most used and appreciated systems on the web.
The fact that shindig is open source means that the world will be a better
place.  For those who are helping to make it exist, thank you!!!!!!!

Here are photographs I took with many of my Perl guru friends...
http://tinyurl.com/6aq5r6

I love Perl.  My friends love Perl.  The excellent folks at six apart love
Perl.

But without a perl port of shindig, the vast numbers of Perl programmers
cannot create and integrate shindig servers with sites coded in Perl.

For anybody who helps to create a Perl port of shindig, I will promise vast
gratitude, encouragement, and strange fun odd gifts.  Really.

Or perhaps a generic REST API http://tinyurl.com/6lvaln will make it so that
a shindig server can be written in any language.

We are very much hoping to run a shindig server on our site which is coded
in Perl...
www.HumanCreativity.com

Do you have any advice, suggestions, or perls of wisdom?

Eager excitement and happiness,
-julian geek

Re: perl + shindig = happiness and joy

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Julian Cash <j...@supersnail.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much Kevin!!!!
>
> That makes sense.  I had not thought about that approach before.  You are
> awesome!

Hey, I'm glad someone thinks so! :)

> To rephrase what I believe you said...
> We take an existing working shindig implementation, and write hooks into
> each of the java functions, so that we can call them using perl.  This may
> be just a tad inefficient, but it should work just fine.  Once this is
> done,
> it can become open source so that any future perl site can use it.  Cool!

Not quite -- what you'd actually want to do is this:

1. Render gadgets by making calls to /metadata, and using the results of
/metadata to emit appropriate iframes on your site.

2. Handle the opensocial-0.7 API calls by pointing the opensocial-0.7
configuration (found in trunk/config/container.js under "gadgets.features")
to your back end. Right now you'll have to make this back end visible on the
same domain as the gadget renderer. You can achieve this in a variety of
ways. This probably won't even be necessary in the near future since Zhen
and John are working on an improvement to gadgets.rpc to make it viable to
implement all of the opensocial js calls in the parent page itself. With
this in place, you'll have the freedom to do whatever you want.

Doing a proper perl port (a rewrite from scratch) would be great, and like

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.