Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yang <te...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/08 21:34:09 UTC

requests should be disabled when doing compaction?

I did a nodetool compact while the Cassandra server was serving
requests, it almost never finishes, and the service latency becomes
very long
then I terminated the traffic,  compaction finishes shortly after.

should I disable client requests to a node being compacted while I
carry out the compaction?

Thanks
Yang

Re: requests should be disabled when doing compaction?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
(1) You should plan enough capacity that you can handle normal
compaction load while serving requests
(1a) You can control how aggressive compaction is using the
compaction_throughput_mb_per_sec setting

(2) It is not recommended to force compaction of everything using
nodetool compact

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra