Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2011/05/17 00:03:36 UTC

Widget stores, engines and portals (was Re: Wookie at the UK Open University; White-label app stores)

On 16/05/2011 22:28, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 16 May 2011, at 16:46, Lucas Anastasiou wrote:
>
>> Hello Scott, Ross and the rest of wookie development team,
>>
>> I 've seen that Thomas replied giving some info regarding the elgg
>> plugin and I will try to share with the rest of the community what
>> we have done -or plan to do- regarding wookie development.
>>
>> We are currently developing a widget store that it is based in the
>> wookie engine. This will include users accounts, tagging,
>> commenting, rating, each widget to have its own "profile" page etc.
>> .
>
> This is a really interesting area, and is something we want to pursue
> in ITEC too.

Indeed, his is something a great many people are interested in.

> Ross suggested having a Wookie sub-project just for a
> widget store implementation with these features. Would that be of
> interest?

To be precise, I was suggesting a sub-project for the back-end systems,
i.e. no out of the box GUI. This is the same as my proposal for Wookie
itself.

The GUI, as Scott suggested, should be a bunch of widgets that can allow
custom GUIs to be built using platform capable of hosting widgets. We
would provide a reference implementation using Apache Rave.

This would result in something like:

                App Store          User Apps
                  /|\                 /|\
                   |                   |
                   +---------+---------+

                   RAVE (GUI Framework)
                            /|\

                +------------+------------+
                |                         |
                |                         |
          Admin Widgets              User Widgets
               /|\                       /|\
                +---------------------+   |
                |                     |   |
    Wookie (W3C Widget Server)       WidgetStore
               /|\

    Shindig (OpenSocial Server)

Ross

Re: Widget stores, engines and portals (was Re: Wookie at the UK Open University; White-label app stores)

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 16 May 2011, at 23:03, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 16/05/2011 22:28, Scott Wilson wrote:
>> On 16 May 2011, at 16:46, Lucas Anastasiou wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Scott, Ross and the rest of wookie development team,
>>>
>>> I 've seen that Thomas replied giving some info regarding the elgg
>>> plugin and I will try to share with the rest of the community what
>>> we have done -or plan to do- regarding wookie development.
>>>
>>> We are currently developing a widget store that it is based in the
>>> wookie engine. This will include users accounts, tagging,
>>> commenting, rating, each widget to have its own "profile" page etc.
>>> .
>>
>> This is a really interesting area, and is something we want to pursue
>> in ITEC too.
>
> Indeed, his is something a great many people are interested in.
>
>> Ross suggested having a Wookie sub-project just for a
>> widget store implementation with these features. Would that be of
>> interest?
>
> To be precise, I was suggesting a sub-project for the back-end systems, i.e. no out of the box GUI. This is the same as my proposal for Wookie itself.
>
> The GUI, as Scott suggested, should be a bunch of widgets that can allow custom GUIs to be built using platform capable of hosting widgets. We would provide a reference implementation using Apache Rave.
>
> This would result in something like:
>
>               App Store          User Apps
>                 /|\                 /|\
>                  |                   |
>                  +---------+---------+
>                  RAVE (GUI Framework)
>                           /|\
>               +------------+------------+
>               |                         |
>               |                         |
>         Admin Widgets              User Widgets
>              /|\                       /|\
>               +---------------------+   |
>               |                     |   |
>   Wookie (W3C Widget Server)       WidgetStore
>              /|\
>   Shindig (OpenSocial Server)

Right, what I was thinking of for the "WidgetStore" end is:

- a searchable index plus:
- search API
- tagging API
- reviews and ratings API
- data sources (W3C metadata, also the Wookie log data) for generating collections and recommendations

These can then have a front end app store built using Rave (or anything else for that matter).

I created something pretty basic using Solr for indexing, full-text searching and Wink for RESTful browsing by tags that could be a starting point. Alternatively we could look at something more advanced like Mahout/Hadoop.