Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Andreas Kollegger <an...@kollegger.name> on 2010/01/26 17:38:06 UTC

Kill Bundle

Hi all,

During development, I'll be starting and stopping the framework (felix + karaf bundles & shell) fairly often.
Sometimes the shutdown hangs while waiting on the Karaf ssh bundle to stop, I think because it hasn't
yet fully started up and is caught in a bad state.

Usually this means I have to kill the whole process. But it made me wonder whether there was a way
to kill an individual bundle instead of politely asking it to stop. Killing the process often means that my
runtime directory is left in a bad state and I have to start fresh. Not a big deal during development.

If I'm not in a hurry, I can go through and gracefully stop all the other bundles one at time. Then I kill the process.
It'd be a lot easier to kill the one bundle and let the rest of the shutdown occur.

Just wondering,
Andreas

Re: Kill Bundle

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Andreas Kollegger
<an...@kollegger.name> wrote:
> Sometimes the shutdown hangs while waiting on the Karaf ssh bundle to stop, I think because it hasn't
> yet fully started up and is caught in a bad state.
There is no KILL command according to OSGi api. Bundle life cycle is
managed by framework. If the problem is reproducible, it could be fix
from framework side or ssh bundle side.

-Guo

Re: Kill Bundle

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
If you can reproduce the problem, could you try to grab a thread dump
so that we can check possible problems ?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 17:38, Andreas Kollegger <an...@kollegger.name> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During development, I'll be starting and stopping the framework (felix + karaf bundles & shell) fairly often.
> Sometimes the shutdown hangs while waiting on the Karaf ssh bundle to stop, I think because it hasn't
> yet fully started up and is caught in a bad state.
>
> Usually this means I have to kill the whole process. But it made me wonder whether there was a way
> to kill an individual bundle instead of politely asking it to stop. Killing the process often means that my
> runtime directory is left in a bad state and I have to start fresh. Not a big deal during development.
>
> If I'm not in a hurry, I can go through and gracefully stop all the other bundles one at time. Then I kill the process.
> It'd be a lot easier to kill the one bundle and let the rest of the shutdown occur.
>
> Just wondering,
> Andreas

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet