Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rushikesh Garadade <ru...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/21 08:41:11 UTC

Spring Boot Solr+ Kerberos+ Ambari

Hi All,

I am trying to set Kerberos for Solr which is installed on Hortonworks
Ambari.

Q1. Is Ranger a mandatory component for Solr Kerberos configuration on
ambari.?

I am getting little confused with documents available on internet for this.
I tried to do without ranger but not getting any success.

If is there any good document for the same, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rushikesh Garadade.

Re: Spring Boot Solr+ Kerberos+ Ambari

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rushikesh,

Solr's Kerberos authentication is completely independent of Ranger.
You can set it up to use Ranger, as is common with Hortonworks HDP,
but it's also possible to setup Kerberos+Solr without Ranger in the
picture at all.  I haven't come across a concise explanation of _how_
to do this within Ambari online anywhere.  But there are several
useful resources for configuring Solr+Kerberos outside Ambari that
apply just as well in an Ambari/HDP environment.  (Since Ambari gives
users ultimate flexibility in configuring components, almost anything
you do outside of Ambari can be done inside Ambari)   See:

https://github.com/chatman/solr-kerberos-docker - a set of demo docker
containers that run a KDC and configure Solr to use it.  A helpful
starting place for configuration.
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/kerberos-authentication-plugin.html
- Solr's documentation on enabling Kerberos.

That should help you get Kerberos configured.  If your questions are
more around how to do particular operations or how to change
particular configuration options in the Ambari UI, those questions are
better addressed to the Ambari mailing lists or by Hortonworks
support.

Hope that helps,

Jason

Posted by Rushikesh Garadade <ru...@gmail.com>.