Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2008/05/14 21:49:56 UTC

Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org

Hi,

Qpid doesn't have a distribution directory on people.apache.org in
/www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator, is it ok if I mkdir that so I can
put our M2.1 release there? We have a directory in
/www/archive.apache.org/dist/incubator already, presumably this will
sync ok afterwards?

- Aidan

http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."

Re: Location for released maven artifacts of incubating projects (was: Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/08, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.05.2008, 21:40 +0100 schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > On a related note, is it also ok to create a qpid directory in
>> > /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache and
>> > copy our maven artifacts into there?
>>
>> that's a little bit of a controversial subject :-)
>
> I am kind of confused now ;-) Maybe I am just not on board long enough
> to have seen respective threads. If you just could point me to these, it
> would be helpful to me (and possibly others ?).
>
> Here is my POV: As an incubating project - speaking of Sling in my case
> - I have to create artifacts with the word "incubator" as part of its
> version. I am also assuming that released artifacts for use by Maven
> should be deployed to the m2-incubating-repository, whereas snapshots go
> to m2-snapshot-repository (used by both incubating and non-incubating
> projects AFAIK).
>
> The reason to not put incubating project artifacts into the
> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository is that the incubator project releases are
> not really full-blown ASF releases.

Incubator releases are official ASF releases validated by the IPMC.
However, they are unusual in that the IPMC does not vouch for code
quality or that the product will continue to be available. The IPMC
asks that podlings follow certain rules with the intention that users
are inform that this is an incubating project.

> I am asking this because we will also have to cut a release in Sling in
> the near future and would also like to deploy the maven artifacts.

The move to distribute releases from www.apache.org seems to have gone
well. We probably need to sort out the maven repository now.

Robert

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

>> I don't think we're
>> particularly wedded  to that location, we haven't published maven
>> artifacts before so there aren't any people using it.
>
> might as well continue using that location until opinions are resolved...

Have done, thanks for your help.

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."

Re: Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> On a related note, is it also ok to create a qpid directory in
>>> /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache and
>>> copy our maven artifacts into there?
>>
>> that's a little bit of a controversial subject :-)
>>
>> if that's where they need to be, go ahead and create a directory
>
> I was wondering if the lack of documentation indicated a certain lack
> of consensus ;)

in general, a lack of document typically indicates please submit
apatch ;) but in this case, yes it represents a unresolved difference
of opinion

> Is there a more appropriate place to put them?

it's appropriate enough (but quite possibly not correct)

> I don't think we're
> particularly wedded  to that location, we haven't published maven
> artifacts before so there aren't any people using it.

might as well continue using that location until opinions are resolved...

- robert

Re: Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

>> On a related note, is it also ok to create a qpid directory in
>> /www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache and
>> copy our maven artifacts into there?
>
> that's a little bit of a controversial subject :-)
>
> if that's where they need to be, go ahead and create a directory

I was wondering if the lack of documentation indicated a certain lack
of consensus ;)
Is there a more appropriate place to put them? I don't think we're

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Qpid doesn't have a distribution directory on people.apache.org in
>> /www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator, is it ok if I mkdir that so I can
>> put our M2.1 release there?
>
> yes
>
>> We have a directory in
>> /www/archive.apache.org/dist/incubator already, presumably this will
>> sync ok afterwards?
>
> yes

Great, thanks!

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."

Re: Need to create distribution directory on people.apache.org

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Qpid doesn't have a distribution directory on people.apache.org in
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator, is it ok if I mkdir that so I can
> put our M2.1 release there?

yes

> We have a directory in
> /www/archive.apache.org/dist/incubator already, presumably this will
> sync ok afterwards?

yes

- robert