Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Henry S. Isidro" <hi...@exist.com> on 2006/03/01 03:04:10 UTC

Re: [m202] "Failed to resolve artifact" problem

Ray Ward wrote:

>I'm converting a "multiproject" project from Maven 1 to Maven 2, starting at
>the parent and adding modules one at a time until they build and install.
>
>Currently, this is what I'm trying to do.
>
>stars  (P)
>+--- stars-common   (A)
>+--- stars-domain     (B)
>+--- stars-dao          (C)
>
>B depends on A.  C depends on both A and B, and some external jars I had to
>install in the local repository.
>
>P builds and installs, then A, then B.  C fails, as it cannot resolve B.
>But B was just built and installed locally!  (It's there -- I looked! ;-)
>
>I define the dependencies in the parent pom.xml, and refer to them, without
>the version info, in the subprojects.  This works for all the other
>dependencies.
>
>What am I missing?  Is there a way to force it to look in the right
>directory, perhaps using <systemPath/> ?
>
>TIA,  Ray
>
>Here's the error:

>[INFO] [jar:jar]
>[INFO] Building jar: /home/rward/apps/m2/stars/domain/target/stars-
>domain-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>[INFO] [install:install]
>[INFO] Installing /home/rward/apps/m2/stars/domain/target/stars-
>domain-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar to
>/home/rward/.m2/repository/stars-domain/1.0-SNAPSHOT/stars-
>domain-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>[INFO]
>[INFO] Building stars-dao
>[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
>[INFO]
>[INFO] [resources:resources]
>[INFO] Using default encoding to copy filtered resources.
>[INFO]
>[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>[INFO]
>[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
>required artifacts missing:
>  stars:stars-domain:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
>for the artifact:
>  stars:stars-dao:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
>from the specified remote repositories:
>  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

Hi Ray,

Can you post your poms? It may be easier to understand what's happening
if we can see them.

Regards,
Henry

Re: [m202] "Failed to resolve artifact" problem

Posted by Ray Ward <wa...@gmail.com>.
Here are the POMs (abbreviated a little):

<project> <!-- stars "multiproject"  (P) -->
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>stars</groupId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <artifactId>stars</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <name>stars</name>
  <modules>
    <module>common</module>
    <module>domain</module>
    <module>dao</module>
<!--
    <module>ear</module>
    <module>ejb</module>
    <module>web</module>
-->
  </modules>
        <dependencyManagement>
          <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>stars</groupId>
                        <artifactId>stars-domain</artifactId>
                        <version>${pom.version}</version>
                </dependency>

                <dependency>
                        <groupId>stars</groupId>
                        <artifactId>stars-common</artifactId>
                        <version>${pom.version}</version>
                </dependency>

                <dependency>
                        <groupId>stars</groupId>
                        <artifactId>stars-dao</artifactId>
                        <version>${pom.version}</version>
                </dependency>

        </dependencies>
  </dependencyManagement>
</project>
<!-- stars-domain module (B) [stars-common, module A, is similar, but has no
dependencies] -->
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>stars</groupId>
  <artifactId>stars-domain</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>stars-domain</name>
<!--
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
-->
  <parent>
    <groupId>us.ma.state.dss.stars</groupId>
    <artifactId>stars</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>stars</groupId>
      <artifactId>stars-common</artifactId>
    </dependency>

    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>
<!-- stars-dao module (C) -->

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>us.ma.state.dss.stars</groupId>
  <artifactId>stars-dao</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>stars-dao</name>
  <parent>
    <groupId>us.ma.state.dss.stars</groupId>
    <artifactId>stars</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  </parent>

<build>
        <resources>
                <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/stars/persistence/sqlmapdao/sql</directory>

<targetPath>stars/persistence/sqlmapdao/sql</targetPath>
                        <includes>
                                  <include>**/*</include>
                        </includes>
                </resource>
                <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/java/stars/persistence/conf</directory>
                        <targetPath>stars/persistence/conf</targetPath>
                        <includes>
                                  <include>**/*</include>
                        </includes>
                </resource>