Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com> on 2009/12/24 03:01:30 UTC

Karaf fails to start as a service on an Arm processor

Having problems running karaf as a service on a Sheeva Plug
<http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp>.

# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu jaunty (development branch) \n \l
# cat /etc/debian_version
5.0
# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.22.18 #1 Thu Mar 19 14:46:22 IST 2009 armv5tejl GNU/Linux

After installing the wrapper feature
karaf@root> wrapper:install
Creating file: /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/bin/karaf-wrapper
Creating file: /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/bin/karaf-service
Creating file: /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/etc/karaf-wrapper.conf
Creating file: /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/lib/libwrapper.so
Creating file: /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/lib/karaf-wrapper.jar

After linking
ln -s /opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0/bin/karaf-service /etc/init.d/

I am not able to start the service.  Here is what I get...
jconlon@debian:/opt/felix/apache-felix-karaf-1.2.0$ bin/karaf-service start
Starting karaf...
Killed

Any ideas or trouble shooting tips?

thanks,
John

Re: Karaf 1.2.0 console not sending cr on Linux

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
I am fairly certain that this relates to the Mina/SSHD issue here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SSHD-67

which is also tracked at Karaf here:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1939

This should be fixed in SSHD soon, but in the mean time there is a patch
attached to the first issue if you want to patch and build SSHD from SVN.

Chris

--
Chris Custine
FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com

Re: Karaf fails to start as a service on an Arm processor

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Just discovered this ARM/OSGi device.

A very interesting device.

Thanks and merry christmas

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
You may have inferred from my other thread(Console not sending cr on
Linux), that I did get a service running, but it was not on the plug.
It was on a "PC Engines Alix-1c" http://www.pcengines.ch/alix1c.htm
with 256MB, and an internal 2GB Compact Flash drive.

That was the backup platform waiting in the wings in case I had problems
with the plug.  I already had a bootable thumbdrive with the 9.10 ubuntu
on it.  Installed the Ubuntu CLI, Open JDK headless JRE and Karaf in a
very straight forward way.

BTW - what is the best practice for installing a Karaf that will be used
as a service - as root or as it's own user?

Project timelines forced that alternative for now, perhaps around the
time you get your plug I can rejoin the attack on putting up a decent
plug platform for karaf?  The key I think is bootable tumbdrive with a
fast booting slim os.

cheers,

John

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
Hi Chris,

See inline comments...

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
The service wrapper doesn't have a libwrapper.so compiled for Arm so this
isn't going to work at the moment.  I have a SheevaPlug coming next week so
I will certainly be doing something about this, but in the mean time if you
want to use the service wrapper you will have to get the native source for
Tanuki Service Wrapper 3.2.3 and set up a cross compiler for Arm on a Linux
machine.  I'll try to add this to Karaf some time in the next month or two.

Just out of curiosity, other than the service wrapper is everything else
running OK?  Also, are you running this on the ProSyst mBedded Server with