Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <st...@uk.radan.com> on 2006/02/20 12:45:05 UTC

Does mp2 support httpd-2.2.0?

I've been trying to build mod_perl-2.0.2 with httpd-2.2.0 on Win32 and
found that it doesn't work very smoothly.

First of all, "perl Configure.pl --with-apache2=C:/apache2" had trouble
finding the Apache.exe because it is now called httpd.exe; I later found
that there is a --with-apache-prog argument to help out there.

Then "perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=C:/apache2" threw a wobbly
complaining that it couldn't find libapr.lib and libaprutil.lib.  These
are now called libapr-1.lib and libaprutil-1.lib; copying them (and
their DLL's) to the names expected by Makefile.PL sorted that out, but
it isn't ideal.

After that it all built OK, but "nmake test" complains:

mod_perl 2 was built against Apache sources, we don't know where
httpd/apxs executables are, therefore skipping the test suite execution
at C:\Temp\mod_perl-2.0.2\Apache-Test\lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line 380.

I'm not sure how to get around that one.

Is it supposed to work with httpd-2.2.0 yet or not?

The README only mentions 2.0.55, but then again, it also describes
itself as "2.0-tobe", so this is possibly out-of-date.  (The STATUS file
is also out-of-date.)

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden. Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd. The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Does mp2 support httpd-2.2.0?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> I think Geoff especially knows more about this, but from
> what I understand, httpd-2.2.0 should build and work in
> principle under mp2.

yeah, that's the general idea.  I think at this point the goal should be

  - it absolutely compiles under 2.2
  - 2.0 functionality is maintained under 2.2 insofar as 2.2 includes the
functionality itself
  - new 2.2 behavor gets added/modified as people get itches and/or tuits

unix variants I think we're in good shape.  but if win32 needs work then by
all means feel free to adjust as necessary.

> Two of the problems you describe:
> - change Apache.exe to httpd.exe;
> - change names of apr and aprutil libs;
> look like they may be Win32-specific changes that are
> needed;

yeah.  let's keep win32 (and everyone else) in a good state :)

> I'll try to take a look at this in soon. I'm not
> sure about the other error of not knowing where the
> execuatables are - it may be related to the name change of the apache
> executable - I'll also take a look at this.

thanks, randy :)

--Geoff

Re: Does mp2 support httpd-2.2.0?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Steve Hay wrote:

> I've been trying to build mod_perl-2.0.2 with httpd-2.2.0 on Win32 and found
> that it doesn't work very smoothly.
> First of all, "perl Configure.pl --with-apache2=C:/apache2" had trouble
> finding the Apache.exe because it is now called httpd.exe; I later found that
> there is a --with-apache-prog argument to help out there.
> Then "perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=C:/apache2" threw a wobbly complaining
> that it couldn't find libapr.lib and libaprutil.lib.  These are now called
> libapr-1.lib and libaprutil-1.lib; copying them (and their DLL's) to the
> names expected by Makefile.PL sorted that out, but it isn't ideal.
> After that it all built OK, but "nmake test" complains:
> mod_perl 2 was built against Apache sources, we don't know where httpd/apxs
> executables are, therefore skipping the test suite execution at
> C:\Temp\mod_perl-2.0.2\Apache-Test\lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line 380.
> I'm not sure how to get around that one.
> Is it supposed to work with httpd-2.2.0 yet or not?
> The README only mentions 2.0.55, but then again, it also describes itself as
> "2.0-tobe", so this is possibly out-of-date.  (The STATUS file is also
> out-of-date.)

I think Geoff especially knows more about this, but from
what I understand, httpd-2.2.0 should build and work in
principle under mp2. Two of the problems you describe:
- change Apache.exe to httpd.exe;
- change names of apr and aprutil libs;
look like they may be Win32-specific changes that are
needed; I'll try to take a look at this in soon. I'm not

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: Does mp2 support httpd-2.2.0?

Posted by Steve Hay <st...@uk.radan.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Steve Hay wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to build mod_perl-2.0.2 with httpd-2.2.0 on Win32 and
>> found that it doesn't work very smoothly.
>> First of all, "perl Configure.pl --with-apache2=C:/apache2" had
>> trouble finding the Apache.exe because it is now called httpd.exe; I
>> later found that there is a --with-apache-prog argument to help out
>> there.
>> Then "perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=C:/apache2" threw a wobbly
>> complaining that it couldn't find libapr.lib and libaprutil.lib.
>> These are now called libapr-1.lib and libaprutil-1.lib; copying them
>> (and their DLL's) to the names expected by Makefile.PL sorted that
>> out, but it isn't ideal.
>> After that it all built OK, but "nmake test" complains:
>> mod_perl 2 was built against Apache sources, we don't know where
>> httpd/apxs executables are, therefore skipping the test suite
>> execution at
>> C:\Temp\mod_perl-2.0.2\Apache-Test\lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm line 380.
>> I'm not sure how to get around that one.
>> Is it supposed to work with httpd-2.2.0 yet or not?
>> The README only mentions 2.0.55, but then again, it also describes
>> itself as "2.0-tobe", so this is possibly out-of-date.  (The STATUS
>> file is also out-of-date.)
>
> Sorry for the "slight" delay in this - I've had trouble
> compiling Apache/2.2 until the most recent trial release.
> I've committed some changes to the svn sources of mp2
> that allows it to build and test against Apache/2.2 - please
> let me know if this fixes your problems above. I get some
> test failures that I'm looking into.

Many thanks for looking at this, Randy, and my apologies for taking an
age to try out your fixes.  Unfortunately, I don't get much time to work
on this stuff any more :-(

I've just checked out revision 407743 and tried it with Apache-2.2.2 and
Perl-5.8.8 and it does indeed now build without any problems at all.

I also get some test failures, but no trouble with
t\filter\in_str_declined_read which you mentioned in another mail a
while ago was causing problems for you:

Failed Test             Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
t\api\status.t                         6    2  33.33%  4-5
t\apr-ext\brigade.t        5  1280    14   28 200.00%  1-14
t\apr-ext\bucket.t         5  1280    21   42 200.00%  1-21
t\apr-ext\finfo.t          5  1280    27   54 200.00%  1-27
t\apr-ext\perlio.t         5  1280    ??   ??       %  ??
t\apr-ext\pool.t           5  1280    75  150 200.00%  1-75
t\apr-ext\table.t          5  1280    58  116 200.00%  1-58
t\apr-ext\threadmutex.t    5  1280     5   10 200.00%  1-5
t\apr-ext\uri.t            5  1280    36   72 200.00%  1-36
t\apr\finfo.t                         28    4  14.29%  12-13 26-27
t\modperl\cookie.t                     3    2  66.67%  1-2
11 tests and 24 subtests skipped.
Failed 11/240 test scripts, 95.42% okay. 244/2387 subtests failed,
89.78% okay.

(The ModPerl-Registry tests all run OK when I cd into ModPerl-Registry/
and run "nmake test".)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.