Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Stoutenburg <je...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 08:41:24 UTC

[users@httpd] multiple domains, multiple servers, one public ip

I have multiple registered domain names.
I have multiple *nix servers (primarily Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).
I want to host several services for each domain -- ftp, mysql, http,
https, email, subversion, git, etc.
I want to be able to host each domain on it's own server AND multiple
domains on a single server.
I have one public ip address.

It seems because there are various technologies involved here, I'm
having a hard time finding a comprehensive answer as to how to do
this.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

How much of this problem can be solved effectively with the Apache
server and how?

Re: [users@httpd] multiple domains, multiple servers, one public ip

Posted by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk>.
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:41:24PM -0700, Joshua Stoutenburg wrote:
> I have multiple registered domain names.
> I have multiple *nix servers (primarily Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).
> I want to host several services for each domain -- ftp, mysql, http,
> https, email, subversion, git, etc.
> I want to be able to host each domain on it's own server AND multiple
> domains on a single server.
> I have one public ip address.

Regardless of the use of apache, the combination of multiple registered
domain names, HTTPS and a single public IP address is going to cause you
problems. The only solution to this is to use multpile non-standard
public-facing ports for the HTTPS connections which may or may not be
what you want.

If it is not what you want, you will have to solve the one public IP
address part of your current set-up. Perhaps go IPv6 if your ISP
supports it?

> It seems because there are various technologies involved here, I'm
> having a hard time finding a comprehensive answer as to how to do
> this.
> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
> How much of this problem can be solved effectively with the Apache
> server and how?

The HTTP part can be solved with apache using a combination of
name-based virtual hosting and reverse proxying.

Good luck,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107