Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Calvin <ca...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/11 00:37:01 UTC

compiling hadoop?

Please direct me to a different forum if I am in the wrong place.

I am just trying to compile Hadoop out of the box ...

I first download hadoop-0.20.1 and untar it.  Next, I run $ANT_HOME/bin/ant,
only to get stuck at:

ivy-download:
      [get] Getting:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/ivy/ivy/2.0.0-rc2/ivy-2.0.0-rc2.jar
      [get] To: /xxx/hadoop-0.20.1/ivy/ivy-2.0.0-rc2.jar

(no wide area connection on the machine I am building on).  However, this
jar file already exists!  So, I tried to comment out the "get" line
in"ivy-download" target in my build.xml.  Now I get stuck on:

ivy-resolve-common:
[ivy:resolve] :: resolving dependencies :: org.apache.hadoop#
Hadoop;working@myhostname.com <Ha...@myhostname.com>
[ivy:resolve]   confs: [common]

I'm using ant 1.7.0.

Any help/pointers/resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Calvin

Re: compiling hadoop?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Calvin,

In order to compile hadoop, you need a net connection to download its
dependencies.

One thing you can do is to compile it on another machine, and then
rsync your ~/.ivy2/cache directory from that machine to the machine
you'll primarily be developing on.

Hope that helps
-Todd