Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian Lamb <br...@journalexperts.com> on 2011/06/06 18:19:09 UTC

Default query parser operator

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the query parser operator for a specific field
without having to explicitly type it in the search field?

For example, I'd like to use:

http://localhost:8983/solr/search/?q=field1:word token field2:parser syntax

instead of

http://localhost:8983/solr/search/?q=field1:word AND token field2:parser
syntax

But, I only want it to be applied to field1, not field2 and I want the
operator to always be AND unless the user explicitly types in OR.

Thanks,

Brian Lamb

Re: Default query parser operator

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

You might be able to do something like this in a custom QParser.  look at
the LuceneQParser as an example, but replace usages of QueryParser with
your own subclass of QueryParser where you override the getBooleanQuery
method and muck with the Occur property of the BooleanClauses if they all
have the same field.

the thing you might not want though is that by the time you get to that
part of the API there's no way to tell the diff between...

	field1:foo field1:bar
	field1:(foo bar)

...not sure if you care.

you'd also have to consider what you want to happen if some one entered...

	field1:foo field1:bar field1:baz field2:xxxxxx

...because at that layer of the API it's a sigle list of BooleanClauses.

Another thing to consider is that the new QueryParser framework might make
dealing with this a lot easier (but i'm jues guessing, i'm not really
familiar with it)...

http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_2_0/api/contrib-queryparser/index.html

: > >> field1:foo field2:bar field1:baz field2:bom
: > >>
: > >> would by written as
: > >>
: > >> http://localhost:8983/solr/?q=field1:foo OR field2:bar OR field1:baz OR
: > >> field2:bom
: > >>
: > >> But if they were written together like:
: > >>
: > >> http://localhost:8983/solr/?q=field1:(foo baz) field2:(bar bom)
: > >>
: > >> I would want it to be
: > >>
: > >> http://localhost:8983/solr/?q=field1:(foo AND baz) OR field2:(bar OR
: > bom)

-Hoss

Re: Default query parser operator

Posted by Brian Lamb <br...@journalexperts.com>.
It could, it would be a little bit clunky but that's the direction I'm
heading.

Posted by lee carroll <le...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Brian Lamb <br...@journalexperts.com>.