Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/21 01:00:27 UTC

women-subscribe@ working correctly?

susan wu wrote:

> On another note, it appears that the brief bios are now getting stripped
> from the emails we are receiving at women-subscribe@.  Can someone look
> into this?

I just did a test and at least that message seems to have made it through.

One possibility might be that people are accustomed to sending empty
emails to subscribe to lists and are forgetting to add the "brief
sentence or two describing who you are".

  -jean

Re: women-subscribe@ working correctly?

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
I sent a test subscribe message from another email alias to see what
kind of message you get.
this should help you figure out if it is the bot, or the person.

regards
Ian

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- 03-9877-0909
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -

Re: Practice of welcoming new subscribers (was Re: women-subscribe@ working correctly?)

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
Agreed...(with the "once the blast bit").  Clearly we are getting too
many requests for the personal touch with all of them.

Danese

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Danese Cooper wrote:
> Before you all answer on the question of annoucing new members, let
> me say that this is one of the practices that the Debian-Women use on
> their list that is distinctly different from the way other Debian
> lists are run.
>
> They do it as part of a larger practice of making their list feel
> more welcoming, and of hooking new subscribers up to mentors as soon
> as possible.  If a new person walked into a physical meeting you were
> having in your living room, you would stop and greet them, wouldn't you?

No doubts about the value of that.

> I suspect the practice is grating right now because of the blur of
> names going by. We are getting so many new subscribers that the
> effect is somewhat lost....and we've not discussed implementing the
> rest of the practice yet.  I certainly understand that new
> subscribers might need to be advised of the practice (in case as
> David Crossley is suggesting they want their email address to be
> private).

That was only a secondary concern.

My real issue is that these people were sending a message
to a list-subscription mechanism. Normally at ASF our
mechanism does not pass on any information to the actual list.
So this might surprise and confuse.

-David

Re: Practice of welcoming new subscribers (was Re: women-subscribe@ working correctly?)

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
liz baron wrote:
> Jean,
>
> I think it is a great idea to include the bio of a new subscriber, of
> course, with their permission.  The idea of this list, I gather, is
> to increase participation, and knowing who is on the list can help.
>
> Just my two cents,
> Liz

I also think it's terrific. It's the perfect way to keep a list from
becoming anonymous.

It's also important for anyone to feel free to raise a concern, such as
the one David mentioned.

  -jean

Posted by liz baron <li...@yahoo.com>.
Jean,