Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi> on 2002/06/23 08:20:27 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Temporary date format for humans

Since getting a consensus on anything concerning dates is
like.. difficult, I'll try to get a consensus on a temporary
timeformat. This timeformat would just stay until someone can think of
something better.

So, here goes:

  Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:13:02 +0300

Now, as I'm a sucker for standards, this is RFC2822 compliant. It
would be RFC822 compiliant as well, except that it has a four number
year. It has all the necessary information and the timezone is
expressed with a number (and with +0000 specifying GMT, instead of
'Z'), which is goodness. This will be fixed length as well, if we
zero-pad the day number. And is APR would be nice, we could already
generate these with it. I'd very much like to go for something
ISO-8601 derived in the end, but I'm quite OK with this format until
a consensus has been reached.

I will be committing this very soon if I don't get any vetos on this.

And please, do note, this is only for human display in our commandline
client, it has nothing to do with the repository timestamps.

-- Naked

Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporary date format for humans

Posted by Russ Allbery <rr...@stanford.edu>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> And I'll note that apr_rfc822_date() generates the above format, with a
> 4-digit year, and a hard-coded 'GMT' for the timezone.

> It really ought to say UTC, but hey.

All non-numeric zone names are deprecated as of RFC 2822.  I recommend
changing that function at some point to use -0000 for the timezone
instead.  Otherwise, someday that will trip up someone who's using it for
e-mail.

Either is fine under RFC 822 as modified by RFC 1123 (but UTC is not; UTC
is not a valid RFC 822 zone name).

Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporary date format for humans

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:59:35AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 11:20:27AM +0300, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> > Since getting a consensus on anything concerning dates is
> > like.. difficult, I'll try to get a consensus on a temporary
> > timeformat. This timeformat would just stay until someone can think of
> > something better.
> >
> > So, here goes:
> >
> >   Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:13:02 +0300
>
> ++1.  And, as I've said before, I'd wish that this is the final
> human date format, too.

+1 for now, but I'm more interested in seeing the code go in than what
format to use. I'm also +1 on "2002-06-23 11:13:02 +0300"

> My email and my web servers all speak RFC822 (with 4-digit years).
> Why shouldn't my version control software do that too?  -- justin

And I'll note that apr_rfc822_date() generates the above format, with a
4-digit year, and a hard-coded 'GMT' for the timezone.

It really ought to say UTC, but hey.

It appears that apr-util's apr_date_parse_rfc() will parse this format,
including the +/- HHMM timezone information.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporary date format for humans

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.