Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Manish Chakravarty <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/30 10:54:59 UTC

Compiling apache 1.3 with Visual Studio 2005: problems

Hello everyone,

I downloaded the apache 1.3.37 sources from the website.
I converted the .dsp and .dsw to Visual Studio 2007 format (with the
given tools)

I am unable to compile apache with Visual Studio 2005.
The same code, however, compiles with Visual Studio 2003.

Why does the Apache source code not compile with Visual Studio 2005?
Are there any workarounds?

--
Warm Regards,
Manish Chakravarty

Re: Compiling apache 1.3 with Visual Studio 2005: problems

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:24:59 +0530
"Manish Chakravarty" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I downloaded the apache 1.3.37 sources from the website.
> I converted the .dsp and .dsw to Visual Studio 2007 format (with the
> given tools)
>
> I am unable to compile apache with Visual Studio 2005.
> The same code, however, compiles with Visual Studio 2003.
>
> Why does the Apache source code not compile with Visual Studio 2005?

First, Apache 1.3 is a 1998 release that has been obsolete since 2002.
If it doesn't build with a new compiler, noone is likely to be
interested in taking the trouble to update it.

Second, all Apache 1.x is a UNIX-based server, whose porting to
other platforms - particularly Windows - was always hackish.
It worked on windows, but noone ever claimed it worked well.
Proper cross-platform support was one of the changes in Apache 2.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/