Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Ernst Fastl <er...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/22 22:59:45 UTC

Partial Page Rendering for tomahawk

Hello everyone,

After verifying the patches I send him Catalin was so kind and commited the
new sandbox component called PPRPanelGroup to the sandbox. With this
component you can souround areas of a page which you want to be updated
by AJAX calls. You just specify in the partialTriggers-Attribute a
comma-seperated
List of Ids of componenst (e.g. buttons) which trigger this partial update.

This is a initial commit so it is not yet well tested and there are
still a lot of
things to do, but if anyone wants to start playing around with it and making
suggestions for improvements I would be thankful for some feedback.

kind regards

Ernst

Re: Partial Page Rendering for tomahawk

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi all!

> This is a initial commit so it is not yet well tested and there are
> still a lot of
> things to do, but if anyone wants to start playing around with it and
> making
> suggestions for improvements I would be thankful for some feedback.
JFYI - I've started to try to use it in our application, still, there
are some problems I try to figure out and send a patch to Ernst through
pm then.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Partial Page Rendering for tomahawk

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Well, sandbox or not. I missed the discussion. Remember client side
> validation stuff?
> That was a good thread. Or the "s:secureTag" thread? These two were
> much more "open development" than here, I guess. Maybe that's all I
> missed here. But to me this particular commit *smells*. Sorry, but
> that's my point.

As the guy who started these discussions, I also believe that open
discussions are very important before deciding an action. Other than the
vital points already mentioned in this thread, open discussions is a nice
way to get the ideas of other committers about the design, code and etc.

Cagatay

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Partial Page Rendering for tomahawk

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Matthias!
> The sort of "offline" development. Sending offline a patch to a
> committer for letting him commit the stuff is to me a -1. Looks like a
> "bypass".
Do you propose to use jira as mini-incubator?
I am not sure this is what it is meant for.

In this case it was committed to the sandbox, no? I like the idea to see
the "sandbox" as incubator even more, we are still free to remove stuff,
so this is not against "open development"

I think, for this (Google SoC) project, where Ernst worked together
closely with Martin it is good enough, and that way it is easier to
check the code quality AND if it works. If I had to trash my trunk with
its patch I suspect I'd check this code (given the pressure I currently
have)

For sure, it was not the best way how this code found its way into
myfaces, but let it be and we'll ensure for the future that it will go
better.

Beside this: I have a bad need for such a kind of stuff currently (so I
am biased ;-) ), so I'll check it before I go on with ajax4jsf or
ajaxAnywhere - I'll start in the next two days. (maybe today)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Partial Page Rendering for tomahawk

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> > I am not concerned about the icla or not

> As a PMC member for Apache MyFaces, you *should* be concerned about this.

Yes I agree! But that was not questionalbe (from my side).

I think that "I am not concerned about the icla or not" was wrong understood.
sure I care about the ICLA stuff, but I am pointing out to another issue here.

The sort of "offline" development. Sending offline a patch to a
committer for letting him commit the stuff is to me a -1. Looks like a
"bypass".
I mean how can a discussion come up on stuff like that? Only when the
commit is done?
That's not what I understand from "open development". Discussion,
after inspecting the committed code? No, to me. Creating an issue on
jira is important (not "only" b/c of the licensing).

The lack of license headers in java files needs to be fixed. I hope
it's now more clear, what I am concerned about...

(be sure about the iCLA/license header too). But offline development
is bad, to me.

-Matthias

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 8/22/06, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org > wrote:

> I am not concerned about the icla or not

As a PMC member for Apache MyFaces, you *should* be concerned about this.

Part of the responsibility that the ASF Board delegates to  each PMC is to
ensure that all code ultimately included in the project is covered by
appropriate licensing, so that downstream users of Apache software can be
assured that this is the case.  For "patches" included as attachments on a
JIRA issue, we provide a convenient way for the poster to  grant a license
specifically for this patch.  Therefore, sending all patches from
non-committers through JIRA helps create an audit trail, and is therefore a
Good Thing.

However, this will not be considered sufficient for "large" contributions,
where the contributor is also asked to sign an Individual CLA[1].  How large
is "large"?  Clearly, we shouldn't need this for for a three-line patch
submitted through JIRA with the appropriate radio button granting a license
attrached.  But would it have been OK to accept all of Trinidad as a
humongous patch, simply by having someone have checked the button?  Nope ...
that is definitely "large" enough to require more.   A contribution of this
size (multiple source files and associated resources) is definitely at the
point where the "should" in the page referenced below means REALLY REALLY
should.

Is the original author of these classes willing to sign and fax in a
CLA[2]?  If so, that gets us over the first hurdle.  If not, the files
should definitely be removed.

The second problem is one that Wendy pointed out ... lack of license headers
on the source files.  While the details of this policy are currently being
reviewed, standing practice is to use the complete header that you'll see on
all the other MyFaces source files, in its entirety, at the top of every
source file.  As committers, this is something we should look for on
incoming new source files before adding them to the source code repository.
Because these files do not have such headers, they should be removed, and
not re-added until both issues (CLA and license headers) have been
addressed.

The line-endings issue is something that should also be fixed, but it's not
make-or-break to have source code in the repository.  But having these
broken means you'll have to answer to people like Wendy :-).

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> After verifying the patches I send him Catalin was so kind and commited the

which patches?
what is the Jira issue number for that?