Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Aujunai Charpentiair <au...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/07 13:58:28 UTC

MY BOOK HAS DISAPPEARED

Dear Apache/Open Office,

I was using Open Office September 7-2018, to work on my book of 700 plus
pages when suddenly it disappeared. I tried starting over because the pages
start running sometimes while I am typing. I can be on page  405...and it
will run back to page 35. I wait a few seconds and then I can find the page
that I was originally working on. This time my whole book has disappeared.
And there are now only 2 pages. One of a photo from my book...and one that
is all messed up. I have no idea what that page is or what is on it!

I work from my flash drive as Microsoft has blocked my downloading my book!
They want me to come back to them...which I REALLY-REALLY do not want to
really do! They will not let me export my book!  They will not let me
download my book. and I have tried. What has happened to my book in Open
Office?

Please-please-please help me. I have no backup. The flash drive was my back
up because Microsoft is holding my original book hostage! Please get back
to me as soon as possible. Thank you for your time in this matter. I do NOT
want to go back to Microsoft! But...they have my original work!
Again...thank you for your time in this matter!

*Aujunai Charpentiair*

Re: MY BOOK HAS DISAPPEARED

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 09:58:28 -0400
Aujunai Charpentiair <au...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Apache/Open Office,
>
> I was using Open Office September 7-2018, to work on my book of 700 plus
> pages when suddenly it disappeared. I tried starting over because the pages
> start running sometimes while I am typing. I can be on page  405...and it
> will run back to page 35. I wait a few seconds and then I can find the page
> that I was originally working on. This time my whole book has disappeared.
> And there are now only 2 pages. One of a photo from my book...and one that
> is all messed up. I have no idea what that page is or what is on it!
>
> I work from my flash drive as Microsoft has blocked my downloading my book!
> They want me to come back to them...which I REALLY-REALLY do not want to
> really do! They will not let me export my book!  They will not let me
> download my book. and I have tried. What has happened to my book in Open
> Office?
>
> Please-please-please help me. I have no backup. The flash drive was my back
> up because Microsoft is holding my original book hostage! Please get back
> to me as soon as possible. Thank you for your time in this matter. I do NOT
> want to go back to Microsoft! But...they have my original work!
> Again...thank you for your time in this matter!
>
> *Aujunai Charpentiair*

Why this has happened I cannot say.  We know from frequent reports on the OO Forum that it is unwise to work OO direct to a USB stick.

Your best bet for recovery is to use the methods set out in this tutorial on recovering temporary OO files
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: MY BOOK HAS DISAPPEARED