Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@apache.org> on 2020/08/12 03:12:32 UTC

Impala August 2020 board report

Here is the report I pushed just now. Corrections welcome!

The mission of Apache Impala is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a high-performance distributed SQL engine

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Impala was founded 2017-11-14 (3 years ago)
There are currently 52 committers and 33 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Csaba Ringhofer on 2020-02-18.
- Anurag Mantripragada was added as committer on 2020-05-13

## Project Activity:
This quarter, the Impala community added support (or improved support) for:
 - GROUPING, INTERSECT DISTINCT, EXCEPT DISTINCT, and uncorrelated
subqueries
   in HAVING
 - Development environment bootstrapping with GCC 7 and on Ubuntu 20.04 and
   SLES12 sp5
 - Sanitizers like ASAN and TSAN in developer testing
 - Asynchronous code execution so a query can start in interpreted mode and
   switch to native code when code generation is complete
 - TPCDS queries in the test suite
 - Running in containerized environments

The Impala community improved compatibility with other Apache projects by:
 - Adopting Apache DataSketches KLL structure for quantile estimation
 - Recognizing the new ASF URL practices when downloading Maven and Ant
 - Improving support for Apache Hive ACID tables
 - Adding Apache Iceberg CREATE TABLE support
 - Adding a number of Apache Kudu compatibility improvements
 - Supporting Apache Parquet FIXED_LEN_BYTE_ARRAY DECIMAL
 - Supporting Apache Hadoop Ozone in "load data inpath"

The Impala community removed some or all support for the following in the
4.0
branch:
 - Dateless timestamps
 - Impala-lzo
 - Sentry
 - Hive 2

## Community Health:

The community is overall healthy. This quarter has a common amount of
variability in some previous metrics. It is not infrequent that this
variability has no plainly obvious cause.

 - Commits are down this quarter from 221 to 197.
 - Six community members authored their first patch.
 - JIRAs created is down to 315 from 360; JIRAs resolved are up
   to 357 from 243. A significant number of these are Later, WontFix,
   CannotReproduce, etc.
 - user@ traffic is up 50% to 30 emails; dev@ traffic is down 48% to 69
emails.

Re: Impala August 2020 board report