Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1999/02/09 19:24:23 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support httpd.exp

>But if both are weak it will do a range request, and that's incorrect.

No it won't -- it will compare the If-Range etag to the last-modified
date, which is guaranteed to fail and thus picks up this edge case for free.

>Also, regarding ap_*_list_item and comments, section 2.2 of http/1.1
>rev-06 says:
>
>    Comments can be included in some HTTP header fields by surrounding
>    the comment text with parentheses. Comments are only allowed in
>    fields containing "comment" as part of their field value definition.
>    In all other fields, parentheses are considered part of the field
>    value.
>
>I only see "comment" as part of the field value definition for Server,
>User-Agent, and Via.  So I don't think it's correct to be skipping
>"comments" in If-Match, If-None-Match, ...

I am torn between doing the minimal parsing and just being robust.
OTOH, now that I've gone through the exercise of writing the parser
and am satisfied that it works for the extreme case, I wouldn't mind
removing that part of the algorithm just to simplify things.
If we ever need the more complex version, it will be in the history.

....Roy

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support httpd.exp

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >But if both are weak it will do a range request, and that's incorrect.
>
> No it won't -- it will compare the If-Range etag to the last-modified
> date, which is guaranteed to fail and thus picks up this edge case for free.

Ah, yup, nice.

> I am torn between doing the minimal parsing and just being robust.
> OTOH, now that I've gone through the exercise of writing the parser
> and am satisfied that it works for the extreme case, I wouldn't mind
> removing that part of the algorithm just to simplify things.
> If we ever need the more complex version, it will be in the history.

Your call...

Dean